($200 - $400 Budget) DAC/Amp(ATH-M50s) or New Cans
Jun 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NinjaCPU

New Head-Fier
I'm a bit new to the "audiophile," but I've been trying to broaden my horizons as of recently. Right now I have ATH-M50s and I do enjoy the sound quality compare to what I've used to own (which were headphones around $30 or less). However, I know that this is sort of low-mid quality compare to others. Right now I have two options and I'm primarily trying to get the best type of sound quality for overlapping genres (I listen to basically every genre). I hear that getting a DAC/Amp helps improve on it(or at least improves on something like it.). Or, to buy another pair of cans altogether. Preferably one that does not need a amp. 

I listen through the PC (via a Ear Force DSS via optical cable), Iphone 5s, and Ipad 2nd Gen. I only really need this to listen to primary for music. Movies aren't an issue and Gaming I have cans for them. Only want to pay 200 for the AMP/DAC and up to 400 for the cans. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I have no idea how good the Ear Force DSS is. But I would recommend considering other cans, and then deciding whether or not you need a headphone amp to go with them. If you decide on higher impedance cans, then you would want a portable amp to be able to use them with your iPad and iPhone.

What would you like to improve over the M50s?

Do you need isolation? Or could you use open headphones? Open headphones generally have better soundstage.

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 6
They're meh. They're meant more for using with gaming headset. 

A bit hard to describe it. When I first got the M50s the first thing I thought of was they were "clean." I guess I could Lows, Mids, and Highs better than I would with budget cans or headphones. So I can be able to improve on something along those lines, I would.

I wouldn't really be using these headphones outside so I would prefer open headphones. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 6
I guess I could Lows, Mids, and Highs better than I would with budget cans or headphones. So I can be able to improve on something along those lines, I would.

OK.But what do you mean by that? Headphones have different frequency response curves, and different amounts of clarity/resolution. So a headphone might have more bass, but no better bass SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back