$200-$350 Speaker Options (Assistance Please?)
Aug 18, 2008 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JeremyN

New Head-Fier
I've been scouring these forums as well as a couple other to try and find a set of bookshelf speakers that will make me happy. Of course it's best for me to try to get out and listen to the speakers themselves, but I don't have that option for all of the speakers I'm looking at.

I want speakers that are more "musical" than analytical. I used to own a pair of AKG K701s until I tried out a pair of Denon D2000s. The AKG's sounded too boring and hollow to me. I enjoy a more forward, full sound, and that's what the Denon's gave me. I'd like something that can pack a punch, and it doesn't have to have a ton of detail, though that's a bonus. If I can find something like the Denon's in the speaker world that would be fantastic.

I will eventually add a sub, so the low-end isn't a huge issue. At first I'll power the speakers with an old receiver and eventually add an amp (looking at the Nuforce Icon. Size is somewhat of an issue. I'd prefer to get a small-ish pair of bookshelf speakers, but I'm open to options.

My current list of speakers that interest me are:
Paradigm Atom
AV123 X-LS Encore
PSB B25
Axiom M3

Anyone care to chime in with some advice for me?

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 18
I have three sets of Paradigm speakers: some old Atoms, new Studio 20's, and new Monitor 7s/Mini-Monitors in my home theater setup. You simply cannot go wrong with any level of Paradigm speaker. They all sound fantastic.

I would advise checking Audiogon and buying some used for a better value. I got my Studio 20s there for roughly 40% off MSRP and they were still new in the unopened boxes.

If you want some really cheap speakers with amazing sound for the price, look at some Mission M7s. Tiny speakers but they sound great for their size and price. You can put together a home theater setup with those with your budget.

FYI, I own the Denon 2000s as well and love the sound. Pair a used set of Atoms with a budget sub and you'll get what you're looking for.
L3000.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 18
I like the PSB's because they have a lively musical sound like you get out of the Denons. If you are getting the Nuforce Icon, you'll want the most sensitive speaker you can get because the Icon doesn't put out much power.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 18
Cool. Thanks for the help, guys. I'm definitely going to try and buy used if at all possible. Fortunately for me, I should be able to go hear the Atoms (and other Paradigms) and the PSB's without traveling too far.

warpdriver, do you suspect the Icon would have any problems driving the PSB's? I'm actually not at all opposed to buying a receiver or a larger amp. I was just initially drawn to the Icon due to the DAC (I'll be using the speakers almost exclusively with my Macbook), and the built-in headphone amp.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
warpdriver, do you suspect the Icon would have any problems driving the PSB's?

It's depends on your room. If you are using them in a small room, say 10x14 no problem, especially if you ever get the upgraded power supply. I ran my Icon with similar spec'ed speaker to the PSB in a medium room, but I had the volume 2/3 of the way and it still sounded clean and loud enough (not party level loud, but still loud)

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 18
I haven't had the opportunity to audition many speakers in this price range, but I do own a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's and they can be found new for about$200. They can be found used on e-bay or Agon for less. I absolutely love them. I bought the more costly 75th anniversary limited edition version, but I think the differences are only cosmetic.

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 18
If I were to go with the PSB B25's, does anyone have amplification recommendations for under $300? I currently have a Corda Move headphone amp/DAC, but nothing as far as amplification for speakers.

I was looking at the Nuforce Icon, but I feel like I might like something with more power, just in case.

I've looked briefly into some Harmon/Kardon receivers. Initially I just liked the way they looked, but after a little research it seems as though they are fairly well regarded in terms of sound quality.

Saturday Audio has a sale on the NAD C325BEE amp ($300) that has interested me as well.

I'm open to buying used, and I've been keeping an eye out for good deals, but I'm not sure which will suit me better--a stereo amp or a receiver.

Ideally, I want to purchase something that will allow me to easily hook up a sub. I'm new to the speaker world and I'd like to keep things simple for the time being.

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 18
I have the NAD C325BEE amp and PSB B25, C325BEE is warm and detailed, PSB B25 are beautiful and sounds fantastic. I also have an encore, but my friend borrowed them so I never had a chance to A/B PSB B25 and encore. If I remember right, both has nice bass with B25 producing a little fuller sound. I used a Y adapter to split the pre-out to the main in and my sub line in. There are quite a few options and it's hard to find somebody who heard them all.

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saturday Audio has a sale on the NAD C325BEE amp ($300) that has interested me as well.

Yes, that would be my choice.

You can easily hook up a sub to a stereo amp as long as it has speaker (aka. high level) inputs. Some subs don't but the better ones do (just because they expect you to connect them to music only stereo amps)

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 18
I bought NHT Super Ones after listening to all the paradigms and never regretted it. But after hearing the Epos ELS-3 at Echo Audio in Portland, OR (Echo Audio - Your source for the finest Home Audio and Hi-Fi Audio Equipment) I couldn't resist... The low end isn't as low, but in every other way they blow the NHTs out of the water. So much more open and musical, and the imaging is much, much tighter. I liked the NHTs a lot before I bought the ELS-3s. They're in your budget too. Keep in mind that they're 4 ohms...

Incidently, Echo Audio has the best customer service I've experienced anywhere, and they have them new for a pretty good price. I'm sure they'd ship them.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 18
I know we talked about this in person but I'll chime in with some of my thoughts here too.

As far as the speakers I would take a look at the KEF iQ 1 & 3. The coaxial design has a lot of advantages for nearfeild use that none of the other speakers you are looking at offer. Most important being phase problems due to being too close to the speaker are for the most part not a concern. They also look like a lot of speaker for the money; shorting rings in the driver are pretty rare at that price point. The curved cabinets in addition to making an awesome looking speaker help eliminate internal standing waves.

Having said that the Epos and NHT are both good options. The NHTs are nice for being small and compact due to their sealed design. Sealed designs are also easier integrate with a subwooer (for what thats worth).

As for the amp I think I would go with the Icon for now ($99 is too good to pass up). According to the specs the Icon can act as a pre-amp and DAC only so you could add a power amp whenever you want, or even bi-amp with the Icon and another amp. That makes more sense to me than trying to stick a big integrated (pre-amp + amp) like the NAD on your desk.

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 18
I had the NuForce Icon driving a pair of AV123 ELT525M's, they did well in my 14 x 14 room. As mentioned, it benefits from a PS upgrade.

I also used the Icon as a preamp to drive a 40wpc Gainclone to even better results. The Icon alone will play comfortably loud, but if you want that extra crank, the extra watts help. The ELT525M is not rated as very high sensitivity, but it is easier to drive than one might think.

If you hop over to Tweak City Audio, you can read up on the Gizmo, a ~25wpc integrated coming out soon, maybe within a 2-3 weeks. Looks nice, though first dibs the first batch will be reserved for folks who registered at the TCA forum site up through May 31.

Oh, and BTW, TCA also has a very nice looking speaker coming out soon, the WAF-1. Pics ont he forum threads of that as well. Dig around, some of them are tougher to find.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back