$200-300 exciting audio solution without recessed mids. Advice pls?
Apr 29, 2014 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Phearzmeh

Head-Fier
I'm looking to spend about 200-300 dollars on a graduation present for my brother. He doesn't have an amp or a balanced headset (only vmoda crossfade lp2s). I can't decide whether or not to get him something like the beyerdynamic DT770s 32ohm or maybe a cheaper headset with an AMP. I've heard that the 770s aren't the most balanced headset but it seems to be very popular for monitoring anyway so it can't be that bad right? Any recommendations on what I look into/purchase for the best sound quality?

Thanks. :D

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Why not get him some open headphones since he already has a pair of closed ones? Phillips X1 easily fit your budget, and they don't have to have an amp: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 7
X1 are good for acoustic but not very busy music. It has good balance and excellent timbre but the instruments are distant so the mids aren't robust. They are not relatively recessed either but I wouldn't call it a midcentric hp. For the money it's still a great choice. Maybe a focal spirit pro/Classic would be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back