$200-300 budget, basshead, looking to upgrade from a pair of XB700s
Mar 24, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #16 of 21
@Hawaiibadboy I read your review, I think you've sold 'em to me :p Only thing that has me worried is the pads. Can you give me a measurement on how deep they are so I can compare them to my XB700s? Also, can you recommend any replacement pads? What's the process of tossing new ones on it like?

Thanks a bunch.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #17 of 21
  I've consulted Head-Fi before every audio purchase and I've always come out happy in the end, so I see no reason to stop now.
I currently have a pair of XB700s that I love, but the pads are getting really worn out and so I think it's time for an upgrade. My source is a PC, on board audio. I mostly listen to hip-hop, Dubstep, and Metalcore. I watch a lot of movies and TV. I also game a bit, but that's the lowest on the totem pole out of the three. I'm a basshead first and foremost. Sub-bass is important to me. I love really deep bass that just washes over you like the tide. I like my bass quantity and impact too.
I've got $200-300 to spend and I'm open to just about anything that fits the above description. My initial look turned up a pair of ATH-PRO700MK2s and ATH-WS99s. I couldn't find much info on how they compare to the XB700s though.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, $150.
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $75-$95.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #18 of 21
  @Hawaiibadboy I read your review, I think you've sold 'em to me :p Only thing that has me worried is the pads. Can you give me a measurement on how deep they are so I can compare them to my XB700s? Also, can you recommend any replacement pads? What's the process of tossing new ones on it like?

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks but no thanks.

I see a lot of folks push what THEY think ANOTHER person needs. 

You said this:

I love really deep bass that just washes over you like the tide. I like my bass quantity and impact too.
I've got $200-300 to spend and I'm open to just about anything that fits the above description. My initial look turned up a pair of ATH-PRO700MK2s and ATH-WS99s. I couldn't find much info on how they compare to the XB700s though

Bass that washes over you like the tide? Really? You want that?
I can assure you that the sz2000 will wash all over you and pound you into the sand. You need to amp these. You need to change the cup.

@gelocks

@gikigill

These guys both evaluated the cans and had different views but not about the bass. gelocks comments drove many away but totally sold me. The guy has handled some of the best cans and when he says these the "ARE BASS MONSTERS" with an amp...I took his word. He was right. These are ridiculous. Your ears will distort before the drivers. Long before. And they will go very very low.

If anyone says another pair will hit lower and harder they are lying. These will damage your ears and make you feel sick. Before changing the cups the low hum through the tubes made me wanna vomit. Very odd but for a basshead it's like sweet candy.

#1 Change the cups. Brainwavez HM5 (I used my JVC XX cups)
#2 You absolutely must have an amp. Without an amp to smack your head around these are a waste.
#3 Your library is predominantly Hip Hop.

After the cup change the mids and highs got better because they were off my ******* ears. But I listen to Hip Hop so I cannot say if these play anything else with authority. 

Change cups (takes 2 minutes) Use an amp, (e12 for example) Listen to lots of heavy hitting stuff. If ANY of that does not suit you stay away. If it all fits you'll keep these forever. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #21 of 21

You have me totally confused. First you rec them to me and then tell me to stay away? o.O

I recommend the cans but I don't know you. The For Sale section is littered with broken dreams. Expensive strongly recommended dreams. It's your money. If you switch the pads, have an amp, listen to Hip hop....these are peerless. I recommend the cans.

Another guy bought these...was saying it was like having 18" subwoofers strapped to his head and then wanted to sell them because Hip Hop is not a big enough part of his library. I'm not trying to confuse you I'm trying not to fanboy you into an impulse buy. I have not heard anything hit as hard or as low. Period. I listen to Hip Hop. These are my cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back