200€ Headphones suggestion
Mar 4, 2012 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Overdrive Sloth

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
I'm a newbie in this forum and in general in headphone world, so I'm writing here to ask You a suggestion. Actually I have an AKG K514 a VERY entry-level headphone. I would like to upgrade to a better product and, with a budget of 200€, I've seen this objects that are interesting to me:
AKG K701
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Ultrasone 20th Anniversary
Ultrasone PRO 550
I will use the Headphone with my hand-made Cmoy amplifier.
I know that is very important the kind of music that I'm going to listen, I can say that I like to listen every kind of music Classical, Heavy Metal, Jazz, Blues, Rock and so on, the only exception is Hardcore music... :)
Unfortunately I've never had the fortune to listen any of the above listed headphone, so if you can add a little description of how they sound this will be appreciated.
I apologize for my english, and thank you ALL in advance for your answer.

Andrea 

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 7

Pro 550 from that list for me - tough, rugged, easy to amp with your Cmoy - it's not a bass monster but I
find the bass to be quite tight and ample for my taste anyway. Some people EQ them for a little more
and they seem to respond well to that.

Relatively versatile with all material, there is the odd complaint that the middle frequencies can sound
a tad funny here or there, I've noticed it but it's a compromise. I'd pick it over the 2400.

K701 will need something more than the Cmoy - it's a fussy flagship, big sound stage and the highs
can be quite sibilant - I personally prefer the Q701 Quincy Jones edition.

Pro 550 will be portable but the K701 is strictly a 'stay at home' headphone.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 7
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Just a couple of questions:
I read somewhere on the web that the Ultrasone 20th Anniversary are a special version of the PRO 650. Is it possible? In that case you will seggest anyway the PRO 550?
What is the difference between the HFI line and PRO line? I see that the best HFI (2400) model cost as the "entrylevel" of the PRO line (550)...
Thank you in advance,

Andrea

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 7
i too am in the same situation and looking for a portable solution
was looking at the aiaiai tma 1 but they kinda lack something with some genres, and they are supra aureal headphones, they put pressure on your ears and for me that kinda hurts
on the other hand is the ultrasone hfi 780, very good headphones, with great reviews, which are circum aureal type, around the ear

Mar 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Just a couple of questions:
I read somewhere on the web that the Ultrasone 20th Anniversary are a special version of the PRO 650. Is it possible? In that case you will seggest anyway the PRO 550?
What is the difference between the HFI line and PRO line? I see that the best HFI (2400) model cost as the "entrylevel" of the PRO line (550)...
Thank you in advance,

Andrea

The HFI series is best represented by the HFI-580 and HFI-780 in my opinion, the HFI-450 receives little attention,
 it's not a bad headphone but I suspect the cosmetics let it down, the HFI-680 has a treble bias and lacks definition
 through the middle frequencies - it's a bizarre headphone that one.

HFI-580 is bassier than the HFI-780, but the latter is the more balanced sounding headphone, major differences
 between the two lines is of course the build quality but also the implementation of S-Logic - I find that the Pro
 series give a better sense of sound stage with Ultrasone's proprietary technology - this may be due to the cup
 size on the Pro line being larger and more spacious. Detachable cable, hard case and replacement ear-pads are
 also a bonus with the Pro 550/750/900.

I do know about the 20th anniv. Pro 650 but I have never seen or heard one - I suggest you PM a user named
 'Muppetface' - she's a huge Ultrasone connaisseur and might be able to give you an answer.

I have compared the Pro 550 to the 750 myself and for the money - I would still take the Pro 550.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Thank you again for your answer I will try to contact Muppetface to obtain some info about PRO 650 and the 20th Anniversary headphones. I will report any suggestion or info by Muppetface to enrich this thread for other readers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back