20 years with Head-Fi
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

gipsy

100+ Head-Fier
Screenshot_20230117_164802.jpg

I am not sure, but I think, 20 years ago, when I first joined Head-Fi, processor in my PC was Intel MMX 166, 166Mhz!!

Head-Fi is endless source of information and I really like this community. Good job Jude Mansilla.

My headphones at that time where AKG K240, I think I spent a month salary to buy it......yeah EU east.
And it worth.
I was surrounded with music trough my life and most immersive an joyful way to experience recorded music is trough headphones.
It is something special.

My AKG K240 are still with me, my son is using those daily.
IMG_20230117_165410.jpg

What I know for sure is that having any headphones is beter than no headphones!
It is not about headphone quality it is about fun in music.

Still, I think, headpones are good way to spend money, they last forever (mostly) and brings the joy again and again.

So, dont worry when you overspend on headphones after some time wallet pain will be gone and cans will be with you for looooong time.
Gipsy

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 44
VERY nice, I still listen to the K240 Sextetts my uncle gave me when I moved from speaker HiFi to head-fi.

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 44
Screenshot_20230117_164802.jpg
I am not sure, but I think, 20 years ago, when I first joined Head-Fi, processor in my PC was Intel MMX 166, 166Mhz!!

Head-Fi is endless source of information and I really like this community. Good job Jude Mansilla.

My headphones at that time where AKG K240, I think I spent a month salary to buy it......yeah EU east.
And it worth.
I was surrounded with music trough my life and most immersive an joyful way to experience recorded music is trough headphones.
It is something special.

My AKG K240 are still with me, my son is using those daily.
IMG_20230117_165410.jpg
What I know for sure is that having any headphones is beter than no headphones!
It is not about headphone quality it is about fun in music.

Still, I think, headpones are good way to spend money, they last forever (mostly) and brings the joy again and again.

So, dont worry when you overspend on headphones after some time wallet pain will be gone and cans will be with you for looooong time.
Gipsy

Apparently I joined 6 days after you.

DF862428-C292-49E0-8126-AEDF1E983B8E.jpeg

The reason I joined is I was looking for a portable headphone to complement my Grado SR60. It seems I was originally inquiring about the Koss KSC-35 and then I settled on the PortaPro about a week later. I still have both those headphones in my collection.

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 44

….or you both applied at the same time but it took the application reviewer(s) the extra six days to figure out the DVD part of your post name….🤣….it was 2003….

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 44

The reason I joined is I was looking for a portable headphone to complement my Grado SR60. It seems I was originally inquiring about the Koss KSC-35 and then I settled on the PortaPro about a week later. I still have both those headphones in my collection.
SR60 was just a dream for me than...

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 44
….or you both applied at the same time but it took the application reviewer(s) the extra six days to figure out the DVD part of your post name….🤣….it was 2003….

What’s funny is that the “DVD” was just short for my name (David), it had nothing to do with the media format.

It’s been funny seeing the perception shift over the years, as I’ve used that internet handle for about 25 years, and so initially no one asked me about the discs, then they started commenting on the discs for a good 10-15 years, and then that mostly subsided again. Now I actually get more people saying “Is that short for David?” then I get people who think it’s some DVD disc reference.

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 44
What’s funny is that the “DVD” was just short for my name (David), it had nothing to do with the media format.

It’s been funny seeing the perception shift over the years, as I’ve used that internet handle for about 25 years, and so initially no one asked me about the discs, then they started commenting on the discs for a good 10-15 years, and then that mostly subsided again. Now I actually get more people saying “Is that short for David?” then I get people who think it’s some DVD disc reference.
Just have to ask what are your headphones now? Sorry was meant for @gipsy .

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 44

When you joined Head-Fi I
Just have to ask what are your headphones now? Sorry was meant for @gipsy .
Last 7 years I have HD800 which I am happy with absolutely.
But it seems headphone virus is getting me again, so I may give a try to closed backs.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 44
20 years with a forum is great to see, especially since places like these are a dying breed. The pressure to move to Reddit/Discord etc is strong, but in my opinion they don't offer nearly the same depth of information and discussion.
I agree, audience on Reddit is much wider but way less focused... this format is proven and solid. Here you can talk to or listen and get advice from some of the the top wizards in this industry including fanatic hobbyist.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 44
Worst part of Reddit at least is that's some sort of Cult following and only a few sets of IEM and headphones is accepted. Saying something out of the box is never going to get the praise it should, or just dismissed 😅

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 44
Worst part of Reddit at least is that's some sort of Cult following ^^ and only a few sets of IEM and headphones is accepted. Saying something out of the box is never going to get the praise it should, or just dismissed 😅
^^ … it cannot be as rabid as ASR … 😳

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #14 of 44
Not 20 years for me, 19.

This is my 1,000th post tho :)

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back