20 bit K2 Super Coding...?
Apr 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Fido2

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have any CD's recorded with this technology? How do you like them? I just bought a couple used CCR albums "Willy and the Poor Boys" and "Cosmo's Factory" recorded with the K2 20 bit and they sound really good to me. LP like almost...?
Anyone care to comment on the ins and outs of this technology?

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 21
hmmm....my dear Lyndon LaRouche, i am ashamed to say this is news to me, i will have a look into it, is there special decoder/equipment needed?

there so many 'hi-res' cd standards knocking about now, i have lost track
confused.gif
, i guess this is akin or superior to HDCD!

lets hope some CCR'ers chime in

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 21
no no special gear required...it seems to be just a better redbook format or something?

The box says:
Developed by JVC, the 20-Bit K2 Super Coding System integrates three important digital audio functions:

1. The JVC 20-bit, 128 times over-sampling high resolution analog to digital converter.
2. The JVC K2 Super Coding resolves the high resolution 20-bit signal to the 16-Bit compact disc format while retaining the integrity of the low level information.
3. The JVC K2 Interface effectively eliminates time base jitter in the digital data stream.

"The end result is a compact disc of extraordinarily higher resolution than that of today's conventional compact discs. The 20-Bit K2 Super Coding System allows the listener to hear every subtle sonic nuance from the breathing of the musicians to the explosive crack of the snare drum. Enjoy!"

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 21
It's quality control with better gear but still RBCD. I have plenty of them and they tend to sound wonderful if the mastering is wonderful and lean and strident if the mastering is bumped in the highs. Like anything it depends on the music, but when done right, they sound spectacular. I own about 100.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 21
How easy are these to find?

Do you think someone I listen to has CDs like this? Jeff Buckley? John Butler Trio? Matthew Santos? Andy McKee?

Anyone?

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 21
They are pretty easy to find. The ones I own tend to be classical or jazz works. I don't necessarily search them out but if I do see them side by side with a regular issue I'll check to see who mastered (which I try to do anyway) and then I typically end up with the K2 disc. I don't know Santos, but to my knowledge the other artists you listed have never been issued on a K2 coding disc. Some might think the K2 stuff is a marketing gimmick. In some ways this may be true if someone is trying to bleed you for a large sum of money but what this discs have going for them is a strong emphasis on quality control from start to finish. Because of this, all things being equal, the K2 album will sound better because the product is better controlled, "the magic of K2 is a quality insurance that jitter isn't the problem of a 1:1 transfer from digital tape to disc."

Also:
Developed by JVC, the 20-Bit K2 Super Coding System integrates three important digital audio functions:
1. The JVC 20-Bit, 128 times over-sampling high resolution analog to digital converter.
2. The JVC K2 Super Coding resolves the high resolution 20-Bit signal to the 16-Bit compact disc format while retaining the integrity of the low level information.
3. The JVC K2 Interface effectively eliminates time base jitter in the digital data stream.

That said, I have plenty of K2's where the mastering is compressed or bumped in the highs leading to an overall thin or bright sound. Not cool to these ears. With XRCDs and XRCD2s (JVC audiophile grade releases all using the K2 process) the sound is often bright because the folks mastering this stuff think that's cool (All with +5 at 14k) So be careful. Concentrate on works mastered in the US by Alan Yoshida

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #12 of 21
Other companies use JVC's studios for transfers but all K2 transfers are done by JVC as far as I know. However, the key is that XRCD and K2 is not the same thing. A CD can be K2 transferred but not an XRCD. I have 25 discs that I pulled sitting in front of me now, all of them Japanese pressed Prestige and Riverside Jazz recordings. All of them are K2 super coding transfered but none of them carry the XRCD or XRCD2 label. Those have additional steps which involve other K2 interfaces I believe which reconvert the signal from the back to high res for and then down again without any quality loss and reducing jitter.

Again, to many it sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo. I chalk it up to quality control. Ultimately, the folks going through the process of K2 anything are taking extra care that the signal you hear is as pure as possible and that is great but it doesn't mean the discs will automatically sound great. It all depends on the mastering and again, many of the folks in Japan using the K2 tech throw a bump in there at 14 Hz which makes the stuff sound bright.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 21
Fim (First Impression Music) is another company that also utilizes this form of encoding. They have also surpassed this with a new format called DXD (Digital eXtreme Definition) which is encoded at 24-Bit 352.8 KHz. Although there is one title available at the moment: Jun Fukumachi At Steinway (Take 2) LIM DXD 038. Also, this CD is the first to be replicated in 99.9999% Silver, which is said to "For Significantly Better Transient, Dynamic Contrast & Transparency". I've been meaning to purchase this title, as it has recieved quite a bit of attention.

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 21
I've read about this release. This along with the full on Blu-ray release...seems like there is still quite a bit of interest in high rez releases. Ultimately this stuff is going to be download only with DACs required to decode 24+/192+ rez!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back