20-bit Hi-Res Fantasy/Riverside/Pablo/Prestige/Contemporary Jazz Classics
Jun 30, 2002 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Old Pa

Headphoneus Supremus
There seems to be a constant interest at HeadFi for good Jazz recorded and mastered well. I searched the site for references for this series, but upon finding none, I offer the following. For the last six months I have been enjoying 20-bit classic jazz re-releases for about $10.68 a pop. This includes Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans, Monk, Rollins, Cannonball, Duke Ellington and many others. These are all JVC K2 Super Coding at 128 times oversampling high resolution analog to digital which subtantially reduces base jitter as well. The catalog of these releases is at FantasyJazz [http://www.fantasyjazz.com/html/new.html]. I think the sound is very good and markedly better than redbook CDs.

If you copy the 20-bit listings from under the 20-bit remaster category in the Fantasy Jazz New Releases and the go to AllDirect.com, the majority of the catalog is available for $10.68 per CD. With AllDirect.com's temporary promotion of free shipping on all orders of $49.95 or more, if you get five or more of these 20-bit classic remasters, you will be getting them for $10.68 a piece delivered. You will want to look for release dates in the AllDirect website that are generally later than 1998. When other 20-bit remasters of these jazz classics are going for two to three times as much (when available), these re-releases are really a treasure trove for either newbies or old time collectors.

Happy Listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 5
Some of the more popular ones are harder to find, especially those from 1999.

I looked through AllDirect.com and they didn't have some of the more popular ones, but that is a good price for the ones I saw available. You might have to go searching through some record stores(if you are lucky enough to have some in your neck of the woods)

And I've been recommending this series for a while now, they are still redbook CDs, but done with a good amount of care at a resonable price. And the music is the real star here.

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 5
All of the titles in this K2 series are absolute classics.

When the K2s started to be released - I already had all but a couple of them in their older late 1980s incarnations. However, the sound quality on the K2s is so good that I have replaced all but a few of my old copies with their K2 counterparts.

If you are new to jazz - you can't go wrong with any of the discs in this series. Absolute jazz classics in the best sounding cd format yet (some say the Japanese XRCDs are even better - but to my ears the difference in the sound quality of the K2s vs. XRCDs are minimal with the K2s sounding better for some cds and the XRCDs sounding better for others).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back