20,000 HD800s sold: A new age for head-fi?
Jan 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:
the number of beats by dre sold, or the number of skullcandies.... millions.....and millions.....

But can you really class them as headphones. Fashion accessory bling yes...... Headphones is a stretch.
Headphones do have to make an attempt to reproduce sound reasonably similar to reality.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 53
I wonder how many LCD2s have been sold...
That having been said, it's great to see that the HD800s are selling well. I'd love to see if they've made a profit on them yet though. $3 million in sales may seem like a lot for some, but it really isn't much for a huge company for Sennheiser. Yet as I know nothing about product development and overall costs for headphone manufacturing, don't mind me too much 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #19 of 53
     Quote:
the number of beats by dre sold, or the number of skullcandies.... millions.....and millions.....

Quote:
But can you really class them as headphones. Fashion accessory bling yes...... Headphones is a stretch.
Headphones do have to make an attempt to reproduce sound reasonably similar to reality.

ROTFL ...... so true, so sad.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:
I wonder how many LCD2s have been sold...
That having been said, it's great to see that the HD800s are selling well. I'd love to see if they've made a profit on them yet though. $3 million in sales may seem like a lot for some, but it really isn't much for a huge company for Sennheiser. Yet as I know nothing about product development and overall costs for headphone manufacturing, don't mind me too much 
smily_headphones1.gif

Shouldn't that be $30 million?  (20000 headphones x $1500) - not shabby.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:
     Shouldn't that be $30 million?  (20000 headphones x $1500) - not shabby.

Oops. Yep. That should have been $30 million. I think they might 
wink.gif
 be turning a profit on this one.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #23 of 53
Quote:
Oops. Yep. That should have been $30 million. I think they might 
wink.gif
 be turning a profit on this one.

that's not dealer price though.  Sennheiser doesn't sell direct.  

and i'd be surprised if it's only 20,000 pairs.  Stax has sold 800 SR-009 and they've been available less than 1/2 the time of the HD800.  and those are a $6500-10,000+ commitment (with required amp).  i'd have to believe that HD800s outsell the SR-009 way way more than 10 to 1.

my HD800 is #425.  anyone still posting here that is lower than that?

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

and i'd be surprised if it's only 20,000 pairs.  Stax has sold 800 SR-009 and they've been available less than 1/2 the time of the HD800.  and those are a $6500-10,000+ commitment (with required amp).  i'd have to believe that HD800s outsell the SR-009 way way more than 10 to 1.

Thanks for the input Justin! Those figures definitely demonstrate that high end headphone demand (and supply
redface.gif
) are on the rise.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:
Thanks for the input Justin! Those figures definitely demonstrate that high end headphone demand (and supply
redface.gif
) are on the rise.

I'm just gonna go on a limb and say a lot of the sales are thanks to head-fi.org

Nearly every purchase I've made has been due to insightful reviews written by reputable members, along with less reputable members to back up their claims, and I have not been disappointed in my purchases

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:
I'm just gonna go on a limb and say a lot of the sales are thanks to head-fi.org

Nearly every purchase I've made has been due to insightful reviews written by reputable members, along with less reputable members to back up their claims, and I have not been disappointed in my purchases

beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

I had no idea the SR009 sold that many. I thought the figure would be much less considering the price of those.

You just beat me with the HD800. Mine is in the 600s

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #28 of 53
With recent events on head-fi: the relegation of LCD-2 and other cans from Summit-Fi, it is quite easy to see the rapid rise in popularity of our niche. The forums are constantly being bombarded by new owners of $1k headphones, with the usual question of "what amp or dac" to use with their prized cans. I think this corner of the audiophile market is rapidly expanding and the sales and popularity increase are proving it. I guess we can thank Dr Dre for this?

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:
With recent events on head-fi: the relegation of LCD-2 and other cans from Summit-Fi, it is quite easy to see the rapid rise in popularity of our niche. The forums are constantly being bombarded by new owners of $1k headphones, with the usual question of "what amp or dac" to use with their prized cans. I think this corner of the audiophile market is rapidly expanding and the sales and popularity increase are proving it. I guess we can thank Dr Dre for this?

umm...so what amp should i use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back