2 questions concerning HD590…
Feb 11, 2005 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SanS

Head-Fier
Hi,

It’s an obvious opinion here that HD590’s don’t benefit much from amped signal in the same grade as HD580/600 do. But could you tale – do amped 590 (from headphones amp) differ much from amped 590 (from regular amp)?

And

Someone stated that overall details presentation of 590 noticeably bad than 580/600 bunch can provide… But I think that details are details and frequency response preference is a subject to personal preferences.
So is the details presentation of 590 really so bad in comparison with 580/600 one?

Any opinions are welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 21
I used to have the 590's. I didn't notice any difference when they were amped. And I haven't heard the HD580/600/650 line, but I thought the 590's had very nice detail. If you haven't anything better, these will sound like heaven to you... but I guess you could say that about a lot of headphones...

Feb 11, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 21
i have only compared the 590's to the Bose triports, and i have to say... i used to think the Triports were the best headphones on earth, until i discovered the whole Bose scheme.... better sound thru marketing. (ok if someone gave me a pair, i would gladly take them for free)

i think the 590's have gotten alot of publicity due to Amazon's refurb deals...(still a little bitter about that cuz i spent $130 bucks after much research/buying on ebay).
rolleyes.gif

I love my HD590's. the reason why i didnt get the 595's was because i thought it was a little too 'plasticy' looking for me.

I didnt consider the 580/600/650's because the one-sided cord was so appealing. Now if Sennheiser could just harness Beyerdynamic's design styling and offer silver velour pads and aluminum hinges (DT880)..... = audio esctasy.

im curious to know what headphones u have tried in the past as a basis of comparison, or what u are using right now.

Feb 11, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanS
So is the details presentation of 590 really so bad in comparison with 580/600 one?

I honestly don't think so. They sound similarly, if not more, detailed than 580 that I have. Their bass presentation is nice and highs are very clear, which along the way made mids sound slightly 'behind'. I finally picked 580 at same price mostly because of better headband and overall design - one headfier described 590 nicely as 'like snail hugging your ears'.

I didn't compare amplification method though. I believe they will benefit from good matching amplification, although I found modern senns are not as picky as older 600 ohm ones, and that regular amplification will do fine.

Feb 14, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 21
Thanks everybody for the responding!

But maybe someone made a direct comparison (or just aware in general) about the 590’s amplification from headphones amp vs. regular amp… Is there a solid sound difference in general?

I suppose that 590’s fed from a headphones amp sound better than fed from a regular amp, but is this improvement really substantial?

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 21
I will let you know this in about a week. I can tell you now that my MP3 player (iriver i799) at max volume is not "loud", so I wouldn't say they are that easy to drive. My only comparison is the Senn 497 which is probably 30% louder due to it being easier to drive. I think the 590 is a whole step above it in terms of feel and clarity. I'm still breaking the 590s in too...

I have a Xin Super Macro (portable amp) on order with all the goodies...I'll let you know what comes of it.

-Alex

Feb 14, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Thanks everybody for the responding!

But maybe someone made a direct comparison (or just aware in general) about the 590’s amplification from headphones amp vs. regular amp… Is there a solid sound difference in general?

I suppose that 590’s fed from a headphones amp sound better than fed from a regular amp, but is this improvement really substantial?

smily_headphones1.gif

Please describe what you mean by a "regular" amp?

I used to own the 590s, and they do benefit from amplification somewhat (compared to say, out of a portable device or soundcard).

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 21
The headphone jack in a receiver or stereo component is perfectly adequate to push the HD-590s. Even portables sound fine using them. The only reason to get a headphone amp would be to use the line out of an iPod, or if you like to listen at very high volumes.

See ya
Steve

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
The only reason to get a headphone amp would be to use the line out of an iPod, or if you like to listen at very high volumes.

So you imply that for 590's there is no difference: powered from regular amp or powered from headphones amp (?)

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #11 of 21
It all depends on the amp, you know. I used to think the 590's don't need one, but then I tried them with some good equipment I was getting for the 650's, and blam! they sounded totally different: clearer, wider, with more pronounced and powerful bass.
Bottom line is, they're perfectly fine unamped, but they also can sound a whole lot more enjoyable with good amplification.

Feb 28, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 21
My 590s sound a lot better amped. The high end opens up and the bass slams. How do they sound unamped? Just as enjoyable, but without the slamming bass. You forget about the highs sounding better after a couple minutes. The 590s do a good enough job without an amp.

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 21
I can't say anything about how they stack up against the 600, but I got mine Saturday and am still burning them in. Even so, they sound really good. I am suprised by them in a couple of ways. They are actually brighter than my ER-4P's! I have to turn the treble down. Still, they sound very good with nice detail - not quite as good as my Etys but very good. Well, I should alter that statement because they have far superior spatial detail. The Etys, though, have greater resolution, if you know what I mean. The second thing I was suprised about is how light they are. I was actually disappointed when I felt their lack of weight. I thought they must be made from cheapo plastic and that they'd probably sound cheap, too. Nope. They proved me wrong. They are definitely audiophile headphones and they are probably among the most comfortable available as well. It's easy to forget about them.

Feb 28, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

So you imply that for 590's there is no difference: powered from regular amp or powered from headphones amp (?)

With the iPod there is a difference out of the line out, but not the headphone out. I suspect that has more to do with the quality of the iPod's line out than it does the amp.

See ya
Steve

Feb 28, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 21
IMO, the HD590 can be considered a "basshead" phone when amped properly. there is so much bass slam that i was literally on my knees when the low notes hit, and these were coming out of an JVC receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back