2 Ques.. about the new nano
Oct 14, 2006 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nomada

Head-Fier
#1. Are transfer times really twice as slow as the 1st gen.? What if you use iTunes 6? Can you use iTunes 6?

#2. Have any of you had any issues subjugating your nano(1st or 2nd gen.)to cold weather daily? I bought my 1st gen. in April and never had a prob.. I would hate to spend all that bread on a new player only to have it not survive(8hrs. a day every day in the winter??)
blink.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 8
Nomada:

Question One: I have never heard that. Even if true, how much time are we talking about? A Nano 2 gb's iPod can be filled in minutes.

Question Two: Like anything, a little love goes a long way. Apple states:

Environmental requirements
Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomada
#1. Are transfer times really twice as slow as the 1st gen.? What if you use iTunes 6? Can you use iTunes 6?

#2. Have any of you had any issues subjugating your nano(1st or 2nd gen.)to cold weather daily? I bought my 1st gen. in April and never had a prob.. I would hate to spend all that bread on a new player only to have it not survive(8hrs. a day every day in the winter??)
blink.gif

I can't answer #2, but my 8GB Nano is SLOW AS HELL (IMO) when transferring songs. The speed is roughly 1/3 that of my 4G 20GB iPod using Firewire. I knew USB was slow, but I didn't expect it to be that much slower. This is the only problem I have with the new Nano, everything else is just dandy.

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 8
mister__bigsays:
Quote:

8GB Nano is SLOW AS HELL . . . roughly 1/3 that of my 4G 20GB iPod using Firewire.

My guess is your an Apple user (so am I). Firewire is faster than USB2. My second guess is that you have "USB" and NOT "USB2". I agree, "USB" is "SLOW AS HELL", but USB2 should be much faster.

EDIT: Mister_Big, I see your using a Sik Din lineout. I also own one. Think about upgrading to another line-out. I did and I couldn't be happier!

Oct 14, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
mister__bigsays:

My guess is your an Apple user (so am I). Firewire is faster than USB2. My second guess is that you have "USB" and NOT "USB2". I agree, "USB" is "SLOW AS HELL", but USB2 should be much faster.

EDIT: Mister_Big, I see your using a Sik Din lineout. I also own one. Think about upgrading to another line-out. I did and I couldn't be happier!

Actually I am using USB 2.0. I'm syncing my Nano with a G4 Powerbook and I find that on average, songs used to take about 1 sec each to sync over Firewire, whereas on USB 2.0 it takes around 3 secs per song (note: most of my songs are in ALAC or 256kbps AAC). Painful.

I'll PM you with questions about your line-out.

Oct 14, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 8
The twice as slow transfer on the new nano has been backed up on at least two early reviews. My guess is that it's unfortunately true and it's not Firewire 400 v. USB 2.0. Here's iLounges comment: Quote:

The only real component-related step down we noticed in was in transfer speeds. Apple last year shifted iPods entirely to the highly common, PC-friendly USB 2.0 standard for data transfers, and the original iPod nano was pretty fast at transferring music, photos, and other data from computer to flash memory. In a direct comparison between current and past 4GB iPod nanos, however, we discovered that the new nano transfers at around one-half the speed of its predecessor: it took 4 minutes and 35 seconds for the old nano to transfer a 2.58GB file - incidentally, a full DVD image of Windows Vista - while the new one took 9 minutes and 15 seconds for the same file. Average users can expect that nano music library refreshes will take longer than before - not much of a problem if you fill your nano once and use it for a while, but a possible inconvenience if you repeatedly deplete and then re-fill the nano all the time.

You're battery life is going to suffer in the cold (though hopefully the general battery increase will compensate), but I shouldn't think the player itself would self-destruct. There are a lot of people using iPods for snow boarding, etc.

Oct 14, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 8
blessingx says:
Quote:

The twice as slow transfer on the new nano has been backed up on at least two early reviews.

Thank You. Good to know.

I can't think of another instance were Apple went backwards (firewire to USB). I think it was done for the PC owners. What's even more frustrating, the new Firewire 800 will smoke Firewire 400.

Oct 14, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 8
You and I were both frustrated. I even kept my 4G longer than I may because my then Mac didn't have USB 2.0. Then again it appears Apple is now using a chip that limits even USB, so that's the bigger problem. If they're not maximizing USB 2.0, the advantages of Firewire are mute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back