2 Part ipod gapless question..
Jan 17, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't realize that they added gapless play back to the 5G. Are you sure that it can play gapless?

Welcome to 2006.
biggrin.gif
Yes, Apple updated the firmware of the 5G in 2006 to support gapless playback.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #17 of 22
I have the exact same problem as the original Poster... but while playing ALAC files, and only large files (long songs). not only do I get a 'gap' but some tracks are skipped over and not played.

after snooping around I've concluded that it's probably because the track is too big for the 64mB buffer/cache/memory (5G is the only ipod with 65mB buffer, all other are 32mB IIRC). since the song is bigger then the buffer, it doesn't have the space to load the entire track, and it often skips those tracks. moving the metadata to the beginning of the file using the .M4A utility 'optimize' dBpoweramp Codec Central m4a, mp4 & aac helps resolve some of the problems, but not all the time.... inconsistent....

if anyone else has other/more info, please share.
I'd really like to get my ALAC files to play properly on my ipod. gapless.

(i get the same problem on 60GB 5G & 80GB 5G)
lots of lossless audio is not ripped from CD's, but downloaded FLAC live shows from archive.org

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #18 of 22
I had this happen with my 2G and 3G with mp3s a lot after a while and it would just get worse. Thats why I went Nano.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 22
I pretty much fixed the issue by wiping the ipod, and then re loading all the files, but only after closing and restarting itunes.
that seemed to fix the time issue, and most of the gaplessness. I'm using a touch now, and havent experienced any issues.
Also, ALWAYS disconnect the ipod using the icon in itunes or it messed up the DB every time for me.. and i got all kinds of weirdness

Oh. I see you're using ALAC.. I converted to 256 AAC and can't really tell a difference most of the time.. unless i listen real hard to music i know inside out.. I can tell, but it wasnt worth the effort for me.

oh and i converted my flacs to WMA lossless to keep it gapless and lossless, then dropped those into itunes to get 256 AAC, and then when i'd added album art and tidied any stray tags up, closed itunes.
reopened it, then manually added the files to the ipod and it worked perfectly

long process, huge pain in the wahoo, but now it works.

Seemed to me that DB poweramps FLAC > ALAC coding is a bit funky.. and I tunes seemed only to get track lengths right( and threfore gapless) when it encoded it itself. (which takes forever - single threading on a quad core.. ugh)

and as itunes can't read flac(!), it needed to be lossless, with tags, so WMA lossless it was. Still couldn't get it to convert to ALAC though so i went higher bitrate AAC. It's pretty good

So now I got gapless but not lossless. I'd rather have the gapless though.

sorry for rambling

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #20 of 22
hmmm
gapless & lossless seems kind of obvious of a request for an ipod.
it's a buffer problem.
the device is designed to read small files, and not 20min ALAC files @ 100MB....
i have to repeatedly press 'play' a dozen times before i might get my ipod to play these large audio files
what doesn't make sense to me is that the ipod has no problems playing 300mb+ movies! is this something to do with how video for ipods is encoded? that large file is broken into smaller pieces and each piece has easy to stream boundaries? would be nice if they would do the same for audio.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #21 of 22
I'm using the newest version of dBpoweramp and I can convert from FLAC to ALAC just fine, without losing my gapless playback functionality. What version of dBpoweramp are you using? Gotta have my multi-core support! ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seemed to me that DB poweramps FLAC > ALAC coding is a bit funky.. and I tunes seemed only to get track lengths right( and threfore gapless) when it encoded it itself. (which takes forever - single threading on a quad core.. ugh)

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #22 of 22
I'm using 12.2 i updated the codecs, so I'll maybe have another go later. I'm pretty ok with it working as is, so I may not. Depends how bored I get i guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back