2 pairs of Audioengine A2's to connect in serial?
May 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

goodolcheez

100+ Head-Fier
I love my Audioengine A2 speakers so much that I am wanting to get another pair.  Use one of the unused "inputs" (RCA) on the back of A2 speaker to connect the second pair of A2 speakers.  I know you can do that for the sub, but can this be done for another pair of A2 speakers?  Has anyone tried this cool method?  Did it work?  if so, what was your impression? 

My goal is to have two pair of A2 speakers hooked up like that and add a sub, using the second pair of A2 speaker's unused "input".  Is this possible also??

Thanks a titanic ship,

May 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 8
I would be surprise if you could NOT do what you are looking to do.  I used the second line out of my A2's while I was comparing the A2's to other speakers.  This ability is a little known but getting better known feature of the A2's.  And it's a "dumb" feature.  Meaning it knows nothing about what is plugged in, sub or other set of speakers.  It just passes the signal.

One thing that will happen though is the level will decrease.

May 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I would be surprise if you could NOT do what you are looking to do.  I used the second line out of my A2's while I was comparing the A2's to other speakers.  This ability is a little known but getting better known feature of the A2's.  And it's a "dumb" feature.  Meaning it knows nothing about what is plugged in, sub or other set of speakers.  It just passes the signal.

One thing that will happen though is the level will decrease.

Thanks for the cool answer.  Cool!  I guess sometimes dumb port can do good things to people. :)  I'm glad to hear this.  When I get another pair of A2's I will try this.

What do you mean by level decrease?  You mean the volume will decrease or the sound quality?   Please respond.

thanks a lot

May 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

While I meant volume, that is all I can measure, I would have to guess quality as well.  But for my setup and listening it was not really that I noticed. 

That's cool.  I don't really care if volume is affected a little as they will be setup behind my chair.. They will serve as rear surround, + the sub. :)

Thanks a submarine....

May 13, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
That's cool.  I don't really care if volume is affected a little as they will be setup behind my chair.. They will serve as rear surround, + the sub. :)

Thanks a submarine....

Quote:
For music there is unnaturalness and with movies/games u won't be getting discrete channels/proper surround sound so....

trog is correct.  This wold be an extension for 2 channel stereo, more sound spread out in a larger area.  it would not get you the surround effect.

May 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 8
^ Both you are correct. I meant as sound "extension" as you described rather than surround...

Once I get the pair I will let ya know for my impression.  If for any reason it doesn't work out I can always move the new pair over to another room as I need audio there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back