2 new top Marantz Dacs and other Marantz novelties.
May 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #16 of 48
The NA11 is pretty enticing I must say. I plan on a streamer of some sort but I'm just thinking Squeezebox touch because BBC radio can only sound so good. lol

Streaming from an actual PC isn't much of a concern because I'll be running a Mac Mini straight through the rack. iPad remote controls are too cool to pass up.

Quote:
There's also the NA11, that has the same Dac, no CD but streaming and airplay as well as Internet radio and maybe aFM/AM as well.

If you fancy a PM-14MKII KI I know someone in NL that sells one for 1000€. He has the matching tuner as well. 230V though so convertor needed for you.
I just decided not to take it and go for 70ies vintage instead.

May 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:
The NA11 is pretty enticing I must say. I plan on a streamer of some sort but I'm just thinking Squeezebox touch because BBC radio can only sound so good. lol

Streaming from an actual PC isn't much of a concern because I'll be running a Mac Mini straight through the rack. iPad remote controls are too cool to pass up.

I am a Mac user as well. What do you mean by streaming from a Mac? Via USB? No problem at all then.
But if you mean via network (wired or wireless) and you're using ALAC then you're out of luck because I haven't found any dac that does that at full resoultion.
Airplay, sure, but that downsamples everything to 16/44 Alac.
Which Is why I bought my third mac and use it via USB. :wink:
Good strategy from Apple, it keeps their stocks going up. Luckily I bought me a bunch of those so I don't mind spending another 1K for a Mac Mini.  :p

May 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 48
Will the SA-11s3 come in the same muted gold as its predecessors?  The DAC option makes me want to consider replacing my SA-11S1

May 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:
Will the SA-11s3 come in the same muted gold as its predecessors?  The DAC option makes me want to consider replacing my SA-11S1

First info on the net was silver and gold only but then my dealer confirmed it would be silver and black.
No one on the marantz forum believed me when I said it was going to be in black but I already have a pic of it and it is confirmed on websites where you can already preorder it. Those same sites now offer all three color options, silver, gold and black. But now my dealer claims he has new info and it will be gold and black only, not silver.

Link to AVland UK but the page for the SA-11S3 is down atm. When it is up again you'll see you can preorder all three colors.

In this pic the upper black device is the SA-11S3, below the PM-11S3 and the lower one is the PM-KI Pearl.

marantz_11S3_system.jpg

May 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #21 of 48
Thanks!  Guess I'll wait until I can demo the actual unit, but I first wanted to make sure it came in gold to match my SC-11s1 and SM-11s1

May 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #22 of 48
Nice setup!

I'm waiting to compare a PM-11S3 with one of my KI Pearls on a pair of 804 Diamonds to see if I like the PM11 better.
My second Pearl is in my desktop setup driving a pair of XT2 but I'll upgrade those speakers to PM1.
My living room speakers need upgrading as well, I'm using 15 year old Preference 6 now and I really like the 804 Diamond, it got so much better than the 804s.
I'm thinking of keeping the P6es to hook up to a vintage receiver though.
I will be going for the NA-11S1, 2 of them actually. They are basically an SA-11S3 without the CD player but a streamer built in.
Expensive year ... :wink:

I see in your profile you want to upgrade your speakers as well. Anything you have in mind?

May 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #26 of 48
Hehe, I have a wife with awesome AF.
I want a pair of B&W 804 Diamond, she prefers the 802 Diamond.
Then I wanted a second pair of bookshelves for in my office. She said: "Why not keep your floorstanders from downstairs  since you will be raplcing them anyway, they look so nice."
Also, she prefers speakers without the grilles put on, she prefers to see the drivers.
A closed hifi cabin is a big no for her as well, she liks to see the gear.
And no, she's no audiophile at all.

May 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #27 of 48
I just wish mine has opinions either way. The apathy hurts more than anything. It sounds nice to be able to pick whatever I want but for her not to care how it looks or sounds just makes me feel like she could care less about things I'm pasaionate about.

May 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:
Will there be a new version of the SA7? The SA7S2, perhaps?

Nothing planned I know of.
The SA-7 is part of their top "Legendary Set". 
I don't know the exact timeframes on those but a set like that comes out, is sold for a few years and then there is nothing to replace it for quite a few years until they make a totallly new Legendary set that has nothing in common with the previous one.
If you want a new SA-7 you should grab one now, you might still be able to find some new. Pricey tough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back