2 hour train/bus ride. IEM, DAP, LOD and which PA?
Apr 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JiPod

100+ Head-Fier
This is a 2 hour train/bus ride. No cabins, no luxurious wide seats. If you're lucky, you get to sit for most of the ride. You'd get "car sick" reading and you're travelling alone. So you escape into your own world by isolating yourself in sonic bliss.

Feel free to elaborate on your choice.

NOTE: The selection of amps were based on "SQ", amp only, portability, and the ability to charge using a USB port.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 7
I choose the Arrow for it's SQ, extreme portability, versatility and sexy looks. The girl/boy next to you on the bus will fall in love with you and buy you an even better amp. Also, if you learn how to make your own LOD she/he will like you even more. She/he will then buy you a T1/HD800/RS1i and you will live happily ever after spawning numerous little Head-Fi babies in the process.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Fuze+SDcard, Rockbox, and the best IEM you can afford. Travel light.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negakinu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I choose the Arrow for it's SQ, extreme portability, versatility and sexy looks. The girl/boy next to you on the bus will fall in love with you and buy you an even better amp. Also, if you learn how to make your own LOD she/he will like you even more. She/he will then buy you a T1/HD800/RS1i and you will live happily ever after spawning numerous little Head-Fi babies in the process.

Does this little electronic potion work on the wife? Maybe more than 1 amp? Ah, it must the ambience of the bus and not the minivan. Don't need spawning little ones, have enough already.
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 7
I travel 5-6 days out of 7 on the train for at least an hour each trip, 2 trips a day. No seats ever...

My rig is in the works, but it essentially will be:
iPod -> Fiio L1 -> 3Move -> RE0

This isn't the most practical rig, but I don't mind the bulk.

As for you choices, I'd choose the Arrow, reasons being that it is very practical in size, (FWIR) has decent SQ and is also able to drive higher impedence headphones well enough.
As the poll stands, it's a race between the arrow and the Pico Slim. Since the Arrow is much cheaper, I think that it should win out on that fact alone, but I'm cheap :p. You're ordering/own customs so go the Slim if you have the cash to throw around.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, I do travel by bus from Toronto to Cleveland some times, but there is a quandry based on what hat I wear. If a ball cap, my over the ear headphones, for cowboy hat, ear buds.

But that said, I'd upgrade my current Clip to a Clip+ 4GB and 2 sd cards, my current Electric Avenues headphone amp, and again, based on hat, my Shure SE240(?) or a similar pair of earbuds.

Yup, USB charging a must on a bus/train trip

As for the choice of listed headphone amp's I picked the TTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back