2 headphones plugged in reduces soundquality??
Nov 18, 2003 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vrom

New Head-Fier
I thought it would be nice to listen to my setup with two headphone outputs... With the Perreaux and the Melos I believe that is possible. But does the extra load of two headphones plugged in affect the soundquality in any way? I can imagine it does....

Nov 18, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 10
This isn't an answer, more of I agree thing. I have the Perreax too and I've wondered to whether or not having my Sennhesers and grados plugged in affects sound quality. I usally do have both plugged in at the same time though.

Nov 18, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 10
Wouldn't one answer be -- just listen and see if it does?

If you can't hear any difference, then for all intents and purposes it does not. If you hear a difference, then it does.

Nov 18, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 10
well in the Perreaux's case (and most other multiple-out cases), headphones are connected in parallel so the effective total impedance of the load seen by the amplifier is lowered by 1/Rt = 1/Ra+1/Rb so this may audibly change the sonic signature, especially if the headphones are low impedance.

As for having two different headphones plugged in a parallel configuration, HeadRoom seems to strongly advise against it - I don't know how exactly this would be explained but seems to make sense that uneven distribution of load won't be optimal in terms of sound quality.

Nov 18, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I'd suspect it would indeed reduce quality, in the same way as connecting another pair of speakers to my amplifier would reduce quality, despite it having the facility, they mention in the user manual impedance, and warning against it being too low, as pointed out by doobooloo.

Nov 18, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Brown 911 has given the impression that his Sennheiser and Grado mix doesn't substanciale reduce soundquality on Perreaux... if it does at all. Doobooloo that lower impedance headphones are tricky. Maybe it is safe to conlude then that a Sennheiser combo (mine) with higher impedance does not degrade the soundquality in a "significant" way... I can't test it unfortunately... because I need this thread to make my decision on purchase. If you want to "share" the sound of your system... well.. then this is it!

Nov 19, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 10
from my experience plugging two headphones into a headphone-out does reduced the sound quality...

however..im wondering if u split line-out to two ampes...whould't affect anything right?

Nov 19, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
from my experience plugging two headphones into a headphone-out does reduced the sound quality...

however..im wondering if u split line-out to two ampes...whould't affect anything right?

Well, if you believe the former reduces sound quality, you should believe the latter does as well for almost the same reasons.

Nov 19, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 10
well...from my understanding, headphone out sends out power to power your headphones, if you split headphone out to two headphones there will not be enough power at each end to power two headphones..

but (again, from my understanding) line-out sends out audio singles, not power...that's why an amp is required to boost up that audio single with power to drive headphone/speakers..
so that's why my guess is that line-out wouldnt be affected if it's splitted into two?

anyone?

Nov 19, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
well...from my understanding, headphone out sends out power to power your headphones, if you split headphone out to two headphones there will not be enough power at each end to power two headphones..

but (again, from my understanding) line-out sends out audio singles, not power...that's why an amp is required to boost up that audio single with power to drive headphone/speakers..
so that's why my guess is that line-out wouldnt be affected if it's splitted into two?

anyone?

An audio signal is sent out as a current with varying voltage. Indeed, line out can be fed to a headphone and some headphones outs can be used as a line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back