2 Headphone Amps & 1 Integrated Amp - best solution?
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
I have 2 headphone amps that I'd like to connect to my integrated amp, a Luxman L-505uX.

The headphone amps: Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies and Burson Soloist, the different but equal pleasures of tubes and solid state.

The end result I want is for my wife and I to listen using the separate headphone amps at the same time, using each headphone amp's separate volume controls, yet listening to the same music, same source.
And with the highest sound quality possible.

Here are the two solutions I've come up with:
(1) Connect one headphone amp to the integrated amp's Tape Out, and other headphone amp to the integrated's Pre Out.
The downside of this is that the connection to the Pre Out is not as good sound quality as the Tape Out connection.

(2) Use AudioQuest adapters to double up on the integrated's Tape Out, so that both headphone amps can be connected there at the same time.
My concern is that when the two headphone amps draw on the same signal through the same output at the same time, that will degrade the sound quality for both of them.
Another concern is that any adapter, by itself, will lessen sound quality.
Is either concern accurate?

Are there other solutions you can suggest, that have worked well for you?

I thought I could connect the Burson to the integrated's Tape Out, and then connect the Woo Audio to the Burson's Pre Amp output, but that output is inactive when a headphone is plugged into the Burson.

Anyway, what are your responses and ideas here?

Dave, who is very happy with both headphone amps all by themselves using Sennheiser HD600s and might be auditioning either the brand's HD800s or the Audeze LCD-X soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back