2 digital output sources, 2 different sounds...WHY?
Nov 5, 2011 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Br777

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all
Looking for knowlege or opinions on this one

First the gear common to both tests:  LCD-2 r2, RSA sr71B balanced out, Schiit bifrost with optical cable input.

now here are my unexpected findings. 
My computer has a built in soundcard that has an optical out.  Assuming it would be inferior to a dedicated digital transport, I bought an pure i20 digital dock which also has an optical out option.  I use it with an ipod touch 4g. All lossless files.  with the computer i use windows 7, foobar with wasapi, same files, same cable, same common gear

to my surprise, when i use my computer the computer connection sounds noticeably better.
I was very skeptical, so i have given myself 2 weeks of switching back and forth and I just cant deny it.   The computer's built in soundcard optical out with foobar/wasapi sounds better than the pure i20 digital transport optical out. 

i have of course done my best to volume match but after 2 weeks of going back and forth I have ruled out volume being an issue.

WHY?  my only thought is that maybe the foobar player is simply superior to the ipod's player, or... somehow wasapi is helping? 

any input is welcome.  definitely did not expect this.  

thanks

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 10
anbody?  theories.. anything?

I'm seriously considering trying  a wadia digital transport instead of the pure... I'm really set on removing my computer from the equation.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 10
I started messing with RMAA, but its giving me issues ( and i really have no idea what i'm doing)

i'm not sure how it works but can you feed it signals from something like the pure, or playback via foobar2000?
otherwise when it tests via the computer it wont be using wasapi, which will effect the integrity of the results

also i dont know what downsampling would be happening via ipod playback.. the music i listen too is not anything above standard CD 16/44.1
sorry ya'll but i know very little about all this stuff. 
maybe in a few days if i have more time, and more willingness to really put my time into this...

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 10
I published independent measurements on the 6G Nano and other DAPs here recently, and they were dismissed as 'meaningless', so its not a game I plan to engage in anytime soon. Portray Apple's product in a favourable light and you are a fanboy, an unfavourably light and you invoke the wrath of a legion of, er, fanboys - its a no-win situation.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back