2 channel digital only...
May 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

djembeplay

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a sound card made that does not have a DAC but rather just high quality digital outputs?

I already have an external DAC and amp, so I don't want to pay for a card with another DAC that I will never use... I just want something that will output 2 channel S/PDIF at either 24/96 or 24/192 using high quality connectors... Does such a beast exist?

May 22, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 13
Wow, a bit pricey for me... Sorry, I should have specified.

I'm looking for something under $100 that has NO inputs or analogue connections. I just want a card that outputs a nice toslink and/or digital coax signal.

May 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 13
The only option I can recommend is the Behringer UCA202. At $30, it plugs into the USB port of your PC and provides an optical output (as well as other outputs/inputs you don't want). It is impressive.

May 23, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 13
That looks nice...

Ya, I would gladly go USB if I could find a converter that samples above 48khz...

I would like to have 96 or 192 capability because alot of my samples are at that bit rate.

May 24, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 13
I'd stay away form USB if you're after digital out only,it's conveniant yes and not necessarily bad but it's a bad starting point as you're retrieving the clock form your CPU ->noisy->jittery

I'd recommend looking for a USED RME card

Depending on your DAC you could then also slave your card to the DACs clock

May 24, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd stay away form USB if you're after digital out only,it's conveniant yes and not necessarily bad but it's a bad starting point as you're retrieving the clock form your CPU ->noisy->jittery

Hey utilisateur - Every manufacturer I've talked to says just the opposite. In fact some would only include USB if they could. They all say USB has much lower jitter than the other options.

I'm interested in reading where you got the info about USB being more jittery.

Not trying to be adversarial here, just interested :)

May 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 13
Well i'm just saying USB is not a great aproach either as most (all?) USB receiver Chips take their clock from the USB signal which is derived form the NB clock (correct me if i'm wrong). Atleast with synchronous USB afaik. I dont have comparison data between USB and S/PDIF, but with an internal solution you could more easily slave the card/Transmitter to your DAC

I'll try to elaborate further later torday or tommorow , although i think you may have more information at hand than i have, i admit i'm just an enthousiast with no EE background, just trying to learn :)

May 27, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd recommend looking for a USED RME card

Depending on your DAC you could then also slave your card to the DACs clock

Hey, thanks for the responses everyone.

What's a USED RME card? Errr... is that used like... not new? In that case, what's an RME card? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back