2 CH DAC (new to this)
Oct 31, 2006 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cujobob

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys...

While I do love my headphones, I'm more of a full-range speaker kinda guy...
I'm purchasing a nice pair of 2 CH speakers and need a nice external DAC for a tube integrated amp since my CDP isn't up to par. Can anyone recommend some good DACs under $500?

Are most of the DACs mentioned on this site meant for headphones? Don't think there'd be a difference but some research into the Zhaolu D2.5 confused me somewhat...

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Hey cujobob...DAC's can be used either way via its analog (headphone amp or integrated amp or receiver)... I can only speak in reference to the Zhaolu 2.5C and the 203.2 and I love them both. The price difference is significant, but they both serve their purpose very well. I just recently ordered the Beresford TC-7510 for my speaker set-up (polks, w/ CDP and receiver)...There's a lot of talk about DACs, being great with speaker set-ups also and I'll find out soon enough..
Jes

Oct 31, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 5
Do you use your computer as a source? If not there's no reason to buy a DAC. A good quality CDplayer will suit your needs far better, and also look neater in your rack.

If you do well the DAC is the only way to go. Though most of these DACs aren't headphone specific. There's nothing really that would make them headphone specific unless they did not actually have a line-output.

Nov 1, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cujobob
Hey guys...

While I do love my headphones, I'm more of a full-range speaker kinda guy...
I'm purchasing a nice pair of 2 CH speakers and need a nice external DAC for a tube integrated amp since my CDP isn't up to par. Can anyone recommend some good DACs under $500?

Are most of the DACs mentioned on this site meant for headphones? Don't think there'd be a difference but some research into the Zhaolu D2.5 confused me somewhat...

The zhaolu just has a built in headphone amp, but it's only one way of using the zhaolu. The zhaolu can simply be used as any other dac would be, by connecting it to an external amplifier via its line out

Nov 1, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 5
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=dac+money+buy

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back