2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter for Bose Soundtrue headphones?
Jan 8, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #16 of 36
I couldn't find the exact adapter online since I bought it in store, but it looks exactly like that. The adapter I bought came with 3 other adapters all for 2.5mm female connections.

Here's an album of my ghetto-rigged mod: http://imgur.com/a/SPKf8

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #17 of 36
I THINK these are the adapters I bought. I used the one on the bottom right.  http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-assorted-3-32-audio-adapters-4-pack/2740070.html#prefn1=cableType&sz=46&prefv1=Adapters&start=37

Hope that helps.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #19 of 36
  I THINK these are the adapters I bought. I used the one on the bottom right.  http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-assorted-3-32-audio-adapters-4-pack/2740070.html#prefn1=cableType&sz=46&prefv1=Adapters&start=37

Hope that helps.

Can you unplug the adapter once it's plugged in or would it fall apart without the casing?

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #21 of 36

You can plug and unplug it like a normal adapter without any problems. There is enough tension in there for the plug not to fall out.

That is good to know.  I will give it a try soon.  If I run into issues anyway I could have you mod one for me? :)  I'd of course pay for the adapter and shipping.  You just used scissors to cut the casing off?

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #22 of 36

That is good to know.  I will give it a try soon.  If I run into issues anyway I could have you mod one for me? :)  I'd of course pay for the adapter and shipping.  You just used scissors to cut the casing off?

It's pretty easy to do. Just use scissors and kind of peel it off. Let me know if you can't get it to work and we can work out some shipping details if you can't get it to work. 

BTW, been using it with my xbox one in party chat and everything works great. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #23 of 36

It's pretty easy to do. Just use scissors and kind of peel it off. Let me know if you can't get it to work and we can work out some shipping details if you can't get it to work. 

BTW, been using it with my xbox one in party chat and everything works great. 

I think using my boom Pro with my QC 25 headphones it would work a lot better for Dragon Dictation.  I also use it for PS4.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #26 of 36
Finally found an adapter from RadioShack and had it shipped here, did the modification tonight and it worked. Only minor issue is that the stereo channels are reversed but no big deal.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 36
So, the 3 contact plug from radio shack worked? It appears that the Soundtrue's are 4 contact at the headphone, which doesn't make much sense anyway since the 4th contact is typically there for a microphone which isn't in the headphones. As for the ones that don't fit in the hole, why not make the hole a bit larger with a dremel or drill? I mean, the headphones are also just plastic, so why not "gently" enlarge the hole? Fear of what's inside near the hole? Any way to take it apart and see what's in there?

I'm about to have the same dilemma. I've been hunting high and low for good headphones for my office. My office moved from me having my own office to a new building with open floorplan and 75 people all sitting within very close proximity and no walls to deaden anything. Then they add a white noise generator via speakers all over in the ceiling which is like using a chainsaw to blockout a jackhammer. Whomever sold this open floor plan idea as "cutting edge" and "promotes a more communicative work environment" needs to have their face set on fire. I feel like I'm in a damn Kindergarden class all day.

Anyway, I got the AE2W's which are bluetooth. However, the mic picks up everything and everyone around me and no mute button. The connector at the headphones for those is only a 3 contact connector, but it is the smaller 2.5mm like the soundtrue's. I really like the sound, comfort and dampening of surrounding noise these headphones give me, but the mic picking up every keystroke and the sound of everyone around me makes them kind of useless to use with a PC phone or for video chats. Also, shortel's (the sofphone software we now have at my office) software sucks at picking the correct device to use for a mic or speaker when not using hardwired headphones. I have to fiddle with the settings every time I shut the headphones off and do a test call to my cellphone to see if I can hear the message and then leave a message, then listen to it to see if the mic worked.

After testing out the inline mic on the soundtrues in the store with my phone, I know buying the inline mic cable from bose for the AE2W isn't a viable option either as you have to hold it by your mouth to get your sound heard without the people on the other end constantly saying "what" and it also picks up everything in the general area.

So, after finding the v-moda and the modmic today, a glimmer of hope has popped into my soul. Then after watching the review of the v-moda on youtube, I almost became giddy at the sound quality. I also really like the volume control and mute button in-line. Then I found this thread talking about it. It's like I'll finally have the perfect headset for video conferencing, music and softfone use!

Now, after buying 6+ sets of headsets with mic over the past 2 months (my company moved 2 months ago), I may finally have something that will work well for me... as long as I can get the boom mic to work with the AE2W's. I'm pretty sure I'd want to buy the Soundtrue with the same boom mic for home. I don't want to spend the $250 for the AE2W's which is $70 more than the Soundtrue's only to remove the piece that cost the extra money anyway.

By the way, I've tried Plantronics Backbeat Pro's as well as a bluetooth passive (and active) noise cancellation headphone, but it didn't work at all with the shortel software. They also pinched my head quite a bit and felt heavy. Which was too bad as the mic was much better than the AE2W's when using on my phone and the sound quality was phenomenal when listening to music. The passive NC was just as good as the AE2W's and the active NC was pretty cool too, but I proffered the passive NC. They cost me $70 to send back...

I've also tried a 2 hardwired plantronics sets, 2 different wired logitechs gaming headphones... each in an increasing price and promise of quality/featureset, none of which fit nearly as good, keep out ambient sound or just sound nearly as good as the bose. All of which of course has been out of pocket for me.

Anyway, sorry for the blithering diatribe, I'll continue to search/read for things regarding the adapters to use the v-moda mic and hold out hope.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #28 of 36
  So, the 3 contact plug from radio shack worked? It appears that the Soundtrue's are 4 contact at the headphone, which doesn't make much sense anyway since the 4th contact is typically there for a microphone which isn't in the headphones. As for the ones that don't fit in the hole, why not make the hole a bit larger with a dremel or drill? I mean, the headphones are also just plastic, so why not "gently" enlarge the hole? Fear of what's inside near the hole? Any way to take it apart and see what's in there?

Sorry I didn't make this more clear in my previous post. I started out trying to mod this to work with my sound true headphones. However since then I've bought the quiet comfort 25's. The RadioShack adapter can be modified to work with the QC25's. I'm not sure about the sound true's since the QC 25's have a larger opening. I also misstated that the stereo channels were reversed, since then I realize they aren't. So far so good as I can use the vmoda boom mic.  I didn't modify the headphones themselves because I didn't want to void the warranty.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #29 of 36
I'm in the process of having a custom 2.5mm male to 3.5mm male made for my QC25's. So far, nothing "stock" exists. I'll post if I can get something made that is reasonable in a block of something like 100 pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back