2.1 system (budget 200-500$)
Feb 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

algloom

New Head-Fier
Hey fine people of the Head-Fi forums. First of all I will say that I am no expert when it comes to setting up audio systems. I am looking for a 2.1 speaker system for our home computer, which is used by me and the family to listen to music, watch movies and sometimes - to play videogames. As it is, we do not have enough room nor the funds to set up a high end (or 5.1/7.1) audio system. So for now, I would like advice from you on which 2.1 system should I buy? The budget is roughly 200-500$ and as I live in Europe (Estonia) it would be really good if you recommended items that are also on sale in Europe. Thank you!

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 12
Do you have space for bookshelf speakers? You have a lot of options if you do. Pick your own speakers, Amplifier, and Sub. Do a search on here and you will find a lot of suggestions.

OR

The simple route is:

Swan M50W
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=swan-m50w&products_id=167&osCsid=7f65704e8ceda59391f8bf5bc415525c

OR

Corsair SP2500s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836852001

OR
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s
http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you for such a prompt reply. I have read many good things about "Corsair SP2500s" and am considering on buying them. Will look into the other suggestions you gave as well. We do have room for bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. If it is not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to tell me which of those 3 speaker systems would you recommend? Cheers!

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 12
Quick question, are you going to be running a sound card like Asus Xonar or a DAC?

If I had to buy one tomorrow and it was a system for multipurpose use, I would go with the Corsairs. The Swans may sound a little better for music. However, it sounds like you need something that multiple people can use and set to their liking. That is where the SP2500s have the edge. The volume control box as a lot of adjustments at the tip of your fingers. You should check out some youtube videos of both. 

*I have heard the SP2500s in person and liked them a lot, but never had the chance to hear M50Ws.

My personal set up:
Asus Xonar STX
Dayton Audio APA 150 amplifier 
Infinity p162s
Dayton Audio Sub-80

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 12
Hey again mr Ksharp. Our computer has some built in soundcard on the motherboard, it probably isn't anything fancy (I dont know what dac is :)). What bothers me about SWANs product is the sheer fact that reviews about them are quite rare and when compared to SP2500s, they are alot harder to come by in Europe. At the moment it seems that SP2500 would suit perfectly for the audio needs of our family. If any of you have more suggestions or anything to add about the SP2500 models then please do so. Cheers!

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Sounds like the SP2500s would work really well for you. I would highly recommend a sound card like the Asus Xonar STX ($180). It will make the speakers sound a lot better. It also fits in your budget. Think of it this way. You can buy $4500 speakers, but will not sound great if the source is sending out a poor quality signal. 

A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. It does the same thing as a sound card, but is external and often cost more. Here would be some suggestions that would fit in your budget. There are a lot of DACs out there if you look around.

HRT Music Streamer II - $150

Music Fidelity V-DAC MKII - $350

Music Hall - DAC 15.2 - $300

Keep in mind you can add a sound card or DAC later. You may be fully satisfied without one, but may not know what your missing or not hearing. :wink: Asus does have a new sound card on the way called Asus ROG Phoebus. May be worth waiting for.

Cheers!

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 12
Thank you for another informative post mr Ksharp :) Actually buying a soundcard or a "dac" would not hurt I suppose and it would work with our current financial situation. You listed multiple dac choices. Would you be kind enough to tell me which sets those different dacs apart from eachother, which of those would you recommend and why would buying a dac be a better investment than lets say... buying a soundcard? Have a pleasent weekend :)

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 12
My suggestion is to read some reviews for different DACs. Each one will sound different. 

The HRT is the most basic and uses USB from your computer. So it skips your onboard sound completely. While some others have a optical or coaxal including a USB in option. USB is usually limited to 96khz/24bit and optical/coaxas can go as high has 192khz/24bit. All depends on the DAC though. Does your onboard sound have a optical/coaxal out?

To answer your question about which is a better investment. I would say that depends on how long you plan on keeping your computer and/or using a desktop. The sound card will transfer from one desktop to another desktop, but if you switch to a laptop it will be useless. Where a DAC will still work with a laptop. 

Hope this helps.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 12
The Asus Xonar Essence is a nice sound card, that comes with a decent DAC.
and those separate DACs look nice too.

You could always start out with an Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, it sells for $30 in the USA.
The DAC in it is not as good as others that have been talked about.
But it would be better than the DAC built into the motherboard.
The Xonar DG comes with Dolby Digital, for use with headphones and speakers
Also comes with a basic headphone amplifier.

I thing you should get the Corsair SP2500

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 12
That is a great suggestion and starter sound card. Thanks Purple Angle. 

beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 12
Hmm Estonia is near Russia and if so the Microlab Solo series ought to be readily available? Perhaps try the Solo 5C/6C and hit a nice active 8-10" sub in the used hifi market where u at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back