2.1 Stereo + Headphone Amp Setup Questions
Nov 26, 2022 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AndrewZander

Head-Fier
Greetings!

I have a 2.1 stereo setup (primary audio listening) as well as a headphone amp incorporated into my audio system. I'm wanting to upgrade/replace the stereo receiver I have with the Schiit Saga/Vidar combo, but I'm not sure how to best setup the signal path for multiple outputs.

Here is how the current system is set up:

Current Stereo Setup.png

As you can see, I'm currently using the Rec outputs on the receiver to send the signal to the headphone amp.

What is the best way to hook off the components when replacing the Marantz receiver with the Schiit Saga/Vidar?

I've come up with two options:

1. Split the outputs on the sources (DAC and SACD player) to send the signals to the Saga and Lyr headphone amp independently.

2. Split the outputs on the Saga so that one set of outputs goes to the Lyr headphone amp and the other outputs (using splitters) goes to the Vidar and subwoofer.

Which of these would work best? Is there something I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Andrew

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 4
What I will do:
BIFROST and ONKYO to SAGA
On SAGA: Output1 to VIDAR, Output2 to LYR
on LYR: Pre Out to SPL-100

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 4
What I will do:
BIFROST and ONKYO to SAGA
On SAGA: Output1 to VIDAR, Output2 to LYR
on LYR: Pre Out to SPL-100

Thank you for the response!

I was hoping to be able to remove the Marantz receiver from the setup and replace it with the Saga/Vidar combo. I asked Schiit what their recommendation was, and they were pretty clear that they don't recommend running any RCA splitters. Their recommendation was to have the signal run through the Lyr headphone amp. I'm not fond of this idea as it will drastically reduce the life of the tubes in the Lyr.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't look like the Saga/Vidar combo is a good solution for how I want to set up my audio system.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 4
Their recommendation was to have the signal run through the Lyr headphone amp.
Exactly what I have also suggested...

I'm not fond of this idea as it will drastically reduce the life of the tubes in the Lyr.

In this hobby...before the tubes have ended their life...i guess you have already changed your component (a number of times)...

Good luck on your endeavors..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back