2.1 Setup Suggestions
Apr 30, 2007 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Madgravity34

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I have recently been looking into making myself a decent 2.1 setup. But I really have no idea where to start. I plan on using my ipod/PC as a source so I will need to pick up

AMP
Bookshelf Speakers
Subwoofer.

What would you all suggest I put together for the best performance? I was wondering if I could put this all together for around 500 dollars? I can extend the budget if needed but would love all of your suggestions. Also, if you dont think a subwoofer is needed than I can drop that as long as the speakers chosen can put out adequate bass. (Will be used in dorms so really loud bass isnt necessary).

Thanks for looking.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 16
I would go with an integrated amp rather than a receiver, but you may already know that. A used Rotel or NAD integrated amp from Audiogon may be a good deal.

As far as speakers, Paradigm Atoms, Epos, Infinity Primus, B&W, Mission, Axiom, NHTs are some decent bookshelves.

With your budget, I would pass on a subwoofer and spend most of my money on some good speakers.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 16
This goes slightly over my budget but how does this sound:

Speakers:

Epos ELS-3

Amp:

NAD C325BEE

Is that all I would need? What kind of cabling would you recommend and does the amp already come with a power cable and all that?

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go with an integrated amp rather than a receiver.

can anyone explain the diff btw the two?

sorry for going a bit off topic and asking a noob question

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 16
Madgravity: that system looks good. I would go with stock cables or bluejeans cables.

Manhattanproj: A receiver has a tuner, preamp and an amp. An integrated amp has just an amp and a preamp. Receiver manufacturers concentrate more on mass producing a high power, high profit system to satisfy Joe Six Pack. While integrated amp manufacturers concentrate on making a higher quality amplifier.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 16
so they basically serve the same purpose but receiver has an added tuner (radio?).

i hear ppl using receiver for home theater system, can you use an integrated amp for such system as well?

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 16
It seems like just adding a tuner shouldn't be that much different, but they cater to 2 different people.

There are 2 channel receivers and there are surround sound receivers. The surround sound receivers have a surround sound processor and amplify 5 to 7 channels.

You can use an integrated amp for home theatre, and it will sound great depending on your speakers, but you won't get the Dolby Digital or surround sound effect. I would rather have a decent 2 channel system and a good sub for movies than one of those Home Theatre In a Box systems.

May 1, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madgravity34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, I have recently been looking into making myself a decent 2.1 setup.

I was wondering if I could put this all together for around 500 dollars.

Have you considered using active monitors (speakers with amp+crossovers inside)?

They start out around $150/pair (not very good). I've listened to several of the $400 ~ $1,500/pair models. IMO a good sub starts at around $400 if you know where to look. The better monitors would have plenty of bass for your situation.

You should be able to plug the iPod line out or PC directly into the monitors(although you would need to adapt to 1/4").

here are some to look at.

This is what I would do
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the advice. I will probably be skipping out of a sub. But from your listening experience, what are the best speakers you've heard in the 500 dollar region?

May 1, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madgravity34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice. I will probably be skipping out of a sub. But from your listening experience, what are the best speakers you've heard in the 500 dollar region?

floorstanders or bookshelves?

bookshelves = RS1
floorstanders = X-MTM (havent heard them but come on its the x-ls but even more badass)

May 2, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #13 of 16
Where would I be able to buy the RS1's in the US from? Any online retailers?

May 2, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #14 of 16
Go low power / High eff.

Amp: T-amp ( like trends ta-10) (130 bucks)
Yarland fv34c El84 tube amp (300-400 bucks)

Speakers : Full range Tekton design(ebay) or unity audio (300-500 )
Hawthorne audio Silver iris OB (300-400)

Obad imports (company) is the easiest route for a full cheap nice sounding system.

I've also heard some great stuff about the AV123 speakers, but they are inefficient so you need a big amp wich costs more money ... You want to spend as much as possible on SQ not Watss. You can always add a sub later.

This is just my view of things.

http://www.musical.ca/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back