2.1 PC system setup
Mar 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hikaru12

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a nice 2.1 sound system setup for my main desktop build for about $600. 

I currently have some Polk TSI100 bookshelves sitting it storage. Do you guys think they would suffice for a good 2.1 system when paired with a nice sub or should I be looking to upgrade and sell them? If I upgrade I would budget about $200-$300 on the bookshelves w/ $300 for a sub or alternatively all $600 for a good set of deep bass bookshelves.

If going with a sub might be the best option then I'm currently looking at the Hsu Research STF-1. It seems to be a good bang for your buck sub for it's power output. Since this system is going to be for music only I need a sub that's tight and quick to respond but not necessarily powerful. 

For reference, I listen to all sorts of music but mainly in Electronica, Rap, Classical, and Jazz.

Thanks!

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 6
New thread, huh? :)

I don't think for rap and electronic music that big driver speakers are a substitute for a sub. Depends on whether or not you want good extension down to 30hz.

HSU STF-1 is a good sub for a desktop computer setup.

Maybe start with the Polks and get a sub. What kind of amp do you have?

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 6
New thread, huh?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think for rap and electronic music that big driver speakers are a substitute for a sub. Depends on whether or not you want good extension down to 30hz.

HSU STF-1 is a good sub for a desktop computer setup.

Maybe start with the Polks and get a sub. What kind of amp do you have?

Felt like I needed a new thread for strictly music :p

No amp as of yet as I don't know what to get. I was thinking about getting the Harmon AV1700 as it has the sub output and a good 100W per channel which is the exact max peak of my bookshelves so they might pair up nicely but if you got any suggestions I'm all ears (the cost of the amp will be separate from the above budget).

I've heard those Polks described as crisp and I used them for surrounds for a while. I still remember hearing the birds singing when I was playing Assassins Creed 2 on my PS3 so they sound like they might be good and they're already broken in which is a plus. If you think there are better bookshelves for the price then I'm all ears man. :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 6
I've heard those Polks described as crisp and I used them for surrounds for a while. I still remember hearing the birds singing when I was playing Assassins Creed 2 on my PS3 so they sound like they might be good and they're already broken in which is a plus. If you think there are better bookshelves for the price then I'm all ears man. :)

The TSi100s are good speakers for <$100. All of the speakers we discussed in your other thread are better ones :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 6
The TSi100s are good speakers for <$100. All of the speakers we discussed in your other thread are better ones
smily_headphones1.gif

What do you think of the Centrance 2504 speakers? Otherwise I'll probably go with the CBM-170 SE like you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back