2.1 Desktop Computer Speakers (Yes another thread...)
May 25, 2014 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

monkeysez

New Head-Fier
Salutations,

It is about time I retired my Creative Inspire 2.1 System as it has been running strong for 7 years now and move on to something better. I know what you're thinking-another thread. Didn't he read anything at all before posting. Let me assure you I have. I am staying away from a prebuilt system like the Promedia's 2.1 despite the seemingly good reviews.

Here is what I am looking for.

I am very much interested in purchasing the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR and an accompanying sub (any recommendations). I have a pretty good gaming rig, with a creative soundcard. Here is where you come in friend. Since I do not have much space on my desk, I am not interested in purchasing a large receiver. But I do need an amp, preferably something I can plug in my headphones to. I googled Desktop Audio Amplifiers and came across these:

Audioengine N22 Black for around $200.
Emotiva mini-X a-100 for around $200.
LP-2020A+ Lepai for around $22.
Topping TP30 for around $95.

Ninja Edit: I have seen the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Speakers, but I am interested in Passive Speakers.

Truthfully, I don't know the difference between any of them. I just want a good system to watch movies, listen to some music, and play games, and plug in my headphones (ATH m-50). Please help!
I would prefer to make all my purchases from Amazon, but would not be opposed to buying elsewhere.

May 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 8
Thank you. You have any thoughts on the other ones or suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

nope but this may help

To get a better fix on the LP-2020A+'s sound I compared it with the least expensive low-power amplifier I had on hand, the $199 Audioengine N22 (22 watts per channel). The N22 is a desktop amp, but unlike most small amps, the N22 is a conventional (not digital) amp. In any case, the two amps sounded equally powerful, but the N22 presented a more sharply focused sound "picture." The bass definition on Beyonce's "4" album was much improved; dynamic punch kicked harder, and the treble detailing was superior. The N22's stereo soundstage was more detailed and spacious than that of the Lepai LP-2020A+. The nearly eight-times-as-expensive amp was clearly better than the Lepai -- but it certainly wasn't eight times better-sounding.

http://www.cnet.com/products/lepai-lp-2020a-plus/2/

i like how the TP30 includes a dac too. But only 10 watts per channel @ 8 ohms tho.

lepai vs. TP30 http://stereos.about.com/od/integratedampreviews/ss/Cheap-Amp-Review-Lepai-Lp-2020a-Vs-Topping-Tp-30_3.htm

here's another cheap amp: Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Digital Mini Amplifier 60 WPC

May 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 8
Audioengine N22 Black for around $200.
Emotiva mini-X a-100 for around $200.
LP-2020A+ Lepai for around $22.
Topping TP30 for around $95.

The mini-X is undoubtedly the best speaker amp out of all of those and it will have the most power.

If you want a smaller digital amp with better output than the t-amps, I would go with the Indeed TDA7498E
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2014-Indeed-Class-D-Amp-TDA7498E-160WX2-Stereo-Amplifier-36V5A-adapter-BLK-/291074046376

What Creative soundcard do you have? I'd use that with my headphones as anything in this price range that has a headphone amp is unlikely to perform as well or any better than your soundcard.

Don't pay too much for the Pioneer sub. I'd recommend seeking help for that over on the AVS forum budget subwoofer discussion thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back