2.1 Buying Help!!
Sep 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

George22

New Head-Fier
I'm in the processing of building a 2.1 system for music and movies.

I was thinking of getting the following...

2x Tannoy Reveal 601a - $500

1x Velodyne vx-11 - $180

Then I need a receiver?

What's the cheapest receiver I can get?

I'm from CANADA....

Will this setup be okay close to a wall?

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 30
Consider what mark has said as that might change your mind about things. I own the Polk Monitor 30's powered by a Denon AVR-1312 and I enjoy the setup a lot.

On another note, I own a Velodyne VX-11 and am extremely pleased with it. It is build very well and can extend pretty low with out distorting. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a sub in the less than $200 range.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 30
You can look on your local Craigslist for a used receiver.
If you can get a receiver with Pre-out (line-out?), then you should be ok with those speakers.
Personally I would not get powered speakers, get unpowered speakers as your getting a receiver anyway.

Look on the local craigslist for a used 2.1 speaker/sub-woofer and receiver, might find a good deal.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:
problem there, you specify the Reveal 601a which is a pretty uncommon speaker so i assume you realise its an A as in Active? 

Yep. Why waste your money on powered speakers if you are buying a receiver? You should be looking at the 601p if you are determined to go with Tannoys, although with a receiver, you have lots of options. If you plan on maybe expanding to a 5.1 setup one day, I would look at more traditional passive speaker lines common in HT setups since you'll have more options for building out the set, such as matching center channel that has a horizontal design. 

And yes. The VX-11 is a good deal at that price. I know Canadians don't get the deals on subwoofers that we do here in the US, and that's even an OK price for here. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 30
Paradigm and PSB are both Canadian made speaker brands that have great reputations, so my guess would be that you might get good deals on them. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:
So what speakers should I be looking at?

Polk Audio speaker seem to go on sale a lot, like their RTI line.
Check the website Techbargins for speakers on sale.
Might be some good deals on used on your local Craigslist.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:
Polk Audio speaker seem to go on sale a lot, like their RTI line.
Check the website Techbargins for speakers on sale.
Might be some good deals on used on your local Craigslist.

The OP is in Canada, though, and their prices are generally much closer to MSRP. And they can't order from most of the US websites that carry the good deals.

Now I know that Future Shop sometimes has very good deals on Boxing Day, but I guess you probably don't want to wait that long 
smile.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 30
Yeah I can't wait... ><

Paradigm has some REALLY WEIRD looking speakers...

So I need passive speakers right? Not active?

edit: What about if I went with 2 x Energy RC-10??

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 30
Right. If you have a receiver, it seems a waste to buy active speakers since you already amplification. 

I believe that the Paradigm Mini Monitors retail at around $550 (you might can cut a deal with a retailer for a little discount). They don't look weird to me 
smile.gif

I have a pair of RC-10s. They are very good speakers. However, I understand they are hard to find in Canada for reasonable prices. If you live near the border and can get them shipped to someone, Vanns.com has them at a good price. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 30
It's worth jumping up to the Denon 16xx series or higher if you can; you might be able to find last year's 1612 at a good price.

Denon models 16xx and up have some version of Audyssey MultiEQ room correction software. You use the enclosed microphone, and Audyssey runs test tones and tries to optimize the frequency response for your room by setting the correct timing (based on the speaker distance), phase, and even EQ filters for the speakers and the sub to flatten out the frequency response at the listening position. Last year's Denon 1312 has Audyssey 2EQ, but it does not EQ the sub. In fact most receivers with room correction software in this price range do not optimize the sub's frequency response, which often needs it more than the speakers in your setup. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back