2.1 Budget Speaker Setup
Jul 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stinkysbsc

Head-Fier
I am a high school student and I am looking for a low priced 2.1 setup for my room, and for when people come over. Under $200 would be nice, and I will be hooking them up to my laptop through an Asus Xonar U3. I will be listening to some rock music and electronica, so some decent bass would be nice, and will be purchasing them on singaporean ebay. I currently own the grado sr60i headphones, and I really like the sound signature if that is any indication... If you are recommending passive speakers, I will probably just hook them up to the Lepai TA2020, since it seems to be a reasonably priced amplifier, and I don't need them to be pumped up that loudly...

I do have some extra cash to spend, but keep in mind that I want to keep this good bang for the buck. I can get a better USB DAC if it is worth while and I can also go for a 2 bookshelf + sub setup, but I believe the TA2020 is only a T-amp and will not support a sub, however if you can make an affordable recommendation, I will try and jump on it.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I am a high school student and I am looking for a low priced 2.1 setup for my room, and for when people come over. Under $200 would be nice, and I will be hooking them up to my laptop through an Asus Xonar U3. I will be listening to some rock music and electronica, so some decent bass would be nice, and will be purchasing them on singaporean ebay. I currently own the grado sr60i headphones, and I really like the sound signature if that is any indication... If you are recommending passive speakers, I will probably just hook them up to the Lepai TA2020, since it seems to be a reasonably priced amplifier, and I don't need them to be pumped up that loudly...

I do have some extra cash to spend, but keep in mind that I want to keep this good bang for the buck. I can get a better USB DAC if it is worth while and I can also go for a 2 bookshelf + sub setup, but I believe the TA2020 is only a T-amp and will not support a sub, however if you can make an affordable recommendation, I will try and jump on it.

Your not going to get a good sub-woofer in the price range you have for a 2.1 speaker set.
I would say to put all your cash towards a good set of speakers that can be driven by the Lepat TA2020 and not get a sub.

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Sometimes you can get very, very lucky and find a set of Acoustic Energy Aego M speakers this side of the atlantic for around $200. They are the best speakers in that price range I've ever used out of a computer. Check eBay, that's where I bought mine. Don't worry if they're used, these things are built like tanks and will have survived just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back