2.0 vs. 2.1 speakers for music and games. Which one?
Nov 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Vitor Machado

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
smile.gif

I'm on a dilemma here. I'm about to buy some multimedia speakers for my computer, and I've narrowed it down to these two options (same price range):

Edifier R1600T Plus
produtos_152.jpg

Edifier C2
produtos_77.jpg

I know most of you've probably never heard of these speakers, but you're allowed to use your audiophile instincts on this one.
tongue.gif

I'll be using it mainly for music and games, and some movies once in a while.

I'm not used to monitor-like speakers, so the question is: will the lack of a subwoofer be too much of a problem, especially for games?
confused.gif

In case it helps, this is the FR graph for the R1600T Plus, and this one considers the bass/treble knob variations.

I'll try to audition the R1600T Plus but I'm not sure if this will be possible.

So, I'd like to know your opinions...
wink.gif

Thanks a lot!
smile.gif

Vitor Machado

EDIT: I think it's worth mentioning, I'm not a basshead at all, but I DO like a well defined and present bass.

EDIT 2: Some images of the R1600T Plus here. I know you won't understand a thing of the text.
tongue.gif

It's just so you can see the components and build quality.

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 16
if you're gonna be gaming a lot i'd say get the set with the subwoofer..

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 16
why are you looking at this brand specifically? I can't seem to find any information on any of those speakers (price included)

The ones with the subwoofer do not look too promising. Those speakers do not look like they would produce good sound based on the size/construction. I would go with the bookshelves - Unless you are used to a good subwoofer, you will not feel like you are missing anything (I have a cheap 2.1 setup that sounds like a load of balls compared to a cheap pair of 2.0 bookshelves I have listened to, in every department)

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're gonna be gaming a lot i'd say get the set with the subwoofer..

I'll be gaming quite a bit, but my priority still is sound quality in the music.
wink.gif

At 16W per speaker on the R1600T, maybe if I turn the bass knob up (if needed, maybe even some equalization by software too), it might suffice for games as well?
confused.gif

The C2 is 6x2 + 18 Watts.

You see, I have this feeling that (by the looks) these speakers sound better than the C2, so I'm afraid I might regret not choosing them later...
How much of an improvement do you think the R1600T is over the C2?

Right now I have here these Logitech X-220 speakers, they are 5,8x2 + 20,4, and the subwoofer is practically set to minimum. Not to mention it's a bit boomy, and the satellites don't have tweeters...
433661_vs.jpg

I'll get a new PC soon, so these Logitech are going to my dad and that's why I need new speakers.
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why are you looking at this brand specifically? I can't seem to find any information on any of those speakers (price included)

The ones with the subwoofer do not look too promising. Those speakers do not look like they would produce good sound based on the size/construction. I would go with the bookshelves - Unless you are used to a good subwoofer, you will not feel like you are missing anything (I have a cheap 2.1 setup that sounds like a load of balls compared to a cheap pair of 2.0 bookshelves I have listened to, in every department)

Well I live in Brazil, my options are a bit limited here.
Most of the brands you guys would recommend (like Swans and stuff like that), I won't be able to find here. And if I do, it'll be imported (plus taxes) and the price will be astronomic for my budget.

I've made quite a bit of research, this brand is probably the best price/performance ratio I'll be able to find here.

Now about the subwoofers, the best subwoofers I've ever heard are my Logitech's, and that's definitely not saying much...
Thanks for your opinion.
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 16
Oh god, if you think those logitechs put out "bass" then you are strongly mistaken. I have the X-230s (the newer version) and they are god awful. The bass is muddy and bloated, the treble is rolled off, and not lively in any way, and the mids sound unnatural.

I've listened to cheap sony bookshelf speakers that sound better in every way possible. Absolutely go with the bookshelves.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Oh god, if you think those logitechs put out "bass" then you are strongly mistaken. I have the X-230s (the newer version) and they are god awful. The bass is muddy and bloated, the treble is rolled off, and not lively in any way, and the mids sound unnatural.

I've listened to cheap sony bookshelf speakers that sound better in every way possible. Absolutely go with the bookshelves.

I'm not mistaken because I know it hehe.
tongue.gif

I'm used to it, and it's the best I've heard, but I know these are VERY basic speakers.
And this is exactly what I'm afraid of, to pick up the C2 and history repeat itself. I really want to feel a decent upgrade in the sound quality now, y'know...

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 16
If you would like to feel the upgrade, I would 100% go with the bookshelves. A few reasons:

You cannot get great bass out of anything other than a great subwoofer (or a full range speaker, you get my point). For this reason, it is better to have speakers that will produce very good treble, midrange, and midbass - you can always add a good sub later.

You cannot get great treble out of anything other than a great tweeter. Same conclusion as above.

You cannot get great midrange out of anything other than a great mid-sized cone driver. Again, same as above.

Typical PC speakers, (or at least the ones I have) are horribly designed. My satellites have two 2" cone drivers. These are too small to produce anything good in the mid range, and they are not tweeters and are too big to produce anything good in the upper range. The subwoofer is 6", which is too small to produce anything good in the low range. That, coupled with poor construction quality and poor choice of driver materials and enclosure materials just makes for awful speakers. Granted they were $40, but if you are looking to spend some good money, buy some good speakers.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 16
That isn't a subwoofer (6.5" ported yuck) Also ignore watts nothing to do with quality or loud it goes. Go for better quality 2.0, than crappier quality 2.1 or even worse 5.1. You need to spend quite a bit on a 5.1 system.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

...you can always add a good sub later.

I'm not sure, I can't seem to find reasonable priced subwoofers here (but haven't really searched it seriously yet), so it kinda feels like an overkill to buy a subwoofer for these bookshelves...
But well, I guess if I manage to find one, it's always a possibility...

EDIT: Just out of curiosity... I can't seem to find the R1600T selling on any online store in the US, but I'd guess their price would be around $80~$110, so it's not really that much money spent (and I won't expect "audiophile" quality of course).
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Also ignore watts nothing to do with quality or loud it goes.

Yeah, I was just trying to say that maybe I can turn up a bit on the bass, and get a nice output (volume-wise) compared to the "subwoofer" kit.
wink.gif
(not to mention sound quality will probably be much better)

Thanks people, your opinions were very helpful.
smile.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 16
2.0 system hands down for music quality. If you need a sub for movies or games, I would look into finding a stereo shop for an 8 to 10 inch self powered woofer, perhaps later if your budget does not allow now. You won't be able to grow that 2.1 system into anything other than landfill.

I would suspect if you could listen to the 2 systems, the difference in music quality would be startling.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2.0 system hands down for music quality. If you need a sub for movies or games, I would look into finding a stereo shop for an 8 to 10 inch self powered woofer, perhaps later if your budget does not allow now. You won't be able to grow that 2.1 system into anything other than landfill.

I would suspect if you could listen to the 2 systems, the difference in music quality would be startling.

I'll try to listen to them (can't promise anything though).
wink.gif

Now about the subwoofer again btw, this is something I still don't understand very well, I think... how exactly do you add a subwoofer to active bookshelves?
Is it like this?
PC Output -> Subwoofer -> Bookshelves

In that case I would have to control the sub volume separately from the bookshelves right? Or would the sub volume affect the output to the bookshelves too?
confused.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 16
If you were using the PC as your source, I would have the bookshelves connected to the front L/R jack and the subwoofer connected to the sub/LFE jack. This is nice because then you can have your soundcard direct all frequencies below a certain range to the subwoofer, thus freeing up your bookshelves from having to reproduce the lower frequencies.

I have a friend who lives in Ecuador and man, they're like 9 months behind the technology curve and have ridiculous prices so I sympathize with your situation. I would definitely go for the R1600T. You can always add in a subwoofer later. They at least look to be constructed to handle bass (90-300Hz) , mids and highs, whereas the satellites in the 2.1 system...don't. You can always EQ out some of the nastier dips and peaks in the response of the R1600T if you don't like them or you can just view as the sonic signature of the speakers. I would normally advocate 2.1 setup for games and movies, but I think 2.1 system you're forced to choose isn't really viable. Like someone mentioned earlier, a 6.5" driver isn't really much of a subwoofer, so you're better off served saving up and getting a decent sub later. Whether or not you'll notice the lack of a subwoofer depends on the music you listen to.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitor Machado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,
smile.gif

I'm on a dilemma here. I'm about to buy some multimedia speakers for my computer, and I've narrowed it down to these two options (same price range):

Edifier R1600T Plus
produtos_152.jpg

Edifier C2
produtos_77.jpg

I know most of you've probably never heard of these speakers, but you're allowed to use your audiophile instincts on this one.
tongue.gif

I'll be using it mainly for music and games, and some movies once in a while.

I'm not used to monitor-like speakers, so the question is: will the lack of a subwoofer be too much of a problem, especially for games?
confused.gif

In case it helps, this is the FR graph for the R1600T Plus, and this one considers the bass/treble knob variations.

I'll try to audition the R1600T Plus but I'm not sure if this will be possible.

So, I'd like to know your opinions...
wink.gif

Thanks a lot!
smile.gif

Vitor Machado

EDIT: I think it's worth mentioning, I'm not a basshead at all, but I DO like a well defined and present bass.

EDIT 2: Some images of the R1600T Plus here. I know you won't understand a thing of the text.
tongue.gif

It's just so you can see the components and build quality.

I haven't tried R1600T Plus, but I have tried the C2.

You can't go wrong with the C2 for its price and sound quality.
The bass is strong enough to play loud sound without cracking, and the high is crisp enough to hear high tone, the mid is quite decent. I'm comparing it head to head with other brand which has the same price range as the C2 like Altec lansing and Logitech, the C2 clearly win hand down

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomastigophora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a friend who lives in Ecuador and man, they're like 9 months behind the technology curve and have ridiculous prices so I sympathize with your situation. I would definitely go for the R1600T...

We actually do have stuff like the newest processors, video cards... and they're decently priced (could be better, but it's not that bad either). Sound equipment on the other hand, is much more of a niche market, so it gets ignored in a place where most people just can't afford spending on a sound system.
Most people here will just buy some cheapo micro/mini system and call it a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massive79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried R1600T Plus, but I have tried the C2.

You can't go wrong with the C2 for its price and sound quality.
The bass is strong enough to play loud sound without cracking, and the high is crisp enough to hear high tone, the mid is quite decent. I'm comparing it head to head with other brand which has the same price range as the C2 like Altec lansing and Logitech, the C2 clearly win hand down

Are you comparing them against some specific Logitech model?
You know, I'm sure the C2 is better than my X-220, but what I really would like to know, is how it compares (sound quality wise) against the R1600T.

That's because I wouldn't mind at all losing some bass power in favor of more detailed and organic mids and highs.
My basshead era is gone for good.
biggrin.gif

In our living room, we have one of those so called "mini systems" (from Panasonic).
The subwoofer sounds so boomy and muddy, I actually removed the cable to completely shut the sucker down (disabling it doesn't shut it down completely, you have to remove it), and now it sounds better without that thing.
tongue.gif

190x190_31133_1.jpg

Off-topic: Just wondering, out of curiosity... does my English sound natural to you all?
tongue.gif

If I make some serious mistake feel free to correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back