2.0 system in tiny Hong Kong apartment - Suggestions?
Aug 21, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #16 of 40
I've had the PSB Alpha B1's for about 6 months now, and I have to say that I'm disappointed with them. I have an older pair of PSB 400's which I love, so I thought I would stick with PSB. I also read a very positive review in Stereophile magazine. But I find them rather thin-sounding, with a slightly harsh treble. The bass is good, but the midrange is not quite right. Of course, it could be partly my setup -- they're sitting on a desk -- but I don't think that's the problem.

I've heard good things about the Atoms but never listened to them.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #17 of 40
Go for efficient, it made a huge difference with my trends...(going from 90db to 96db)

I'd suggest klipsch or tekton design maybe ( fostex based) wich are available on ebay.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for efficient, it made a huge difference with my trends...(going from 90db to 96db)

I'd suggest klipsch or tekton design maybe ( fostex based) wich are available on ebay.

Pending an audition, the klipsches seem like the way to go.

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the PSB Alpha B1's for about 6 months now, and I have to say that I'm disappointed with them. I have an older pair of PSB 400's which I love, so I thought I would stick with PSB. I also read a very positive review in Stereophile magazine. But I find them rather thin-sounding, with a slightly harsh treble. The bass is good, but the midrange is not quite right. Of course, it could be partly my setup -- they're sitting on a desk -- but I don't think that's the problem.

I've heard good things about the Atoms but never listened to them.

Too bad about the PSBs. They were 2nd on my wanted list. I may still give them an audition but for my sensitivity requirements, I don't think they would have been a good fit anyway.

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have Paradigm and Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers all over out house. Great performance for the size and price. They don't represent my sound but I didn't pay for them so I can't complain. The still impress... I can't recommand any amps sorry.

If I had a bigger budget, amp and apartment I would likely go the paradigm route.

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #21 of 40
If you're settled on getting the Trends amp, you should consider bringing in your amp to audition your speakers.

Have you consider JBL/Infinity? They have a factory dealership on the top floor of Times Square.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you specifically listened to those PSBs above?

I have not listened to those, but I have listened to the earliest alphas and owned the Stratus Gold and auditioned a few models since.

You really should listen for yourself, but the smaller PSBs have a very good rep in the price range. I have also heard good things about Paradigms but I have not heard them myself.

Good luck. At the end of the day, I say trust your own ears.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're settled on getting the Trends amp, you should consider bringing in your amp to audition your speakers.

Have you consider JBL/Infinity? They have a factory dealership on the top floor of Times Square.

That is a great idea. I will definitely do that if I purchase the Trends. I think I'll go to Times Square today!

Anyone see or hear this Zhalou power amp:

p111.JPG

I believe its 100 w/pc. I will see if Eddie Wu will let me audition the Zhalou and the Trends in his shop.

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #24 of 40
Did you get a chance to listen to the Klipsch RB-61s? I am in a similar situation (small room, Trends TA-10, Zhaolu DAC), and I was looking for a high-efficiency speakers. My current setup uses Athena AS.B1s, and they are fine, but I would like to find something relatively small with bass extension better than 60 Hz - supposedly, RB-61s go down to 38Hz (3dB variance), but that seems a bit unlikely to me.

Anyway, if you have any experience with the RB-61s yet (especially with your Trends), I would love to hear about it.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #25 of 40
Go Here for drivers, boxes, completely made speakers from fostex and others planet 10-hifi is great.

Or look at Tekton Design - check out this and this and even this

or if you're looking to spend more money go to Omega here

these things work extremely well with cheap tube amps (dared) as well as cheap T class D (T-amp, Trends, etc.)

Here is some basic reading as well as here

Frankly, it sometimes puzzles me as to why this stuff rarely makes it as recommendations here on head-fi - it's cheap, musically coherent, works well with other cheap equipment, and frakly, if you like this sort of sound, and admittedly not everybody does but it's worth considering as an option, simply destroys any of the standard paradigm, PSB, etc recommendations.

Oh yah, if you have the space for a sub google magenpan for electrostats - they have wall mounted guys from under $300 - likewise a different sound than the standard recommendations but likewise a cult following that would vehemently argue that they destroy the standard recommendations here.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go Here for drivers, boxes, completely made speakers from fostex and others planet 10-hifi is great.

Or look at Tekton Design - check out this and this and even this

or if you're looking to spend more money go to Omega here

these things work extremely well with cheap tube amps (dared) as well as cheap T class D (T-amp, Trends, etc.)

Here is some basic reading as well as here

Frankly, it sometimes puzzles me as to why this stuff rarely makes it as recommendations here on head-fi - it's cheap, musically coherent, works well with other cheap equipment, and frakly, if you like this sort of sound, and admittedly not everybody does but it's worth considering as an option, simply destroys any of the standard paradigm, PSB, etc recommendations.

Oh yah, if you have the space for a sub google magenpan for electrostats - they have wall mounted guys from under $300 - likewise a different sound than the standard recommendations but likewise a cult following that would vehemently argue that they destroy the standard recommendations here.

Wow. Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by qortra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get a chance to listen to the Klipsch RB-61s? I am in a similar situation (small room, Trends TA-10, Zhaolu DAC), and I was looking for a high-efficiency speakers. My current setup uses Athena AS.B1s, and they are fine, but I would like to find something relatively small with bass extension better than 60 Hz - supposedly, RB-61s go down to 38Hz (3dB variance), but that seems a bit unlikely to me.

Anyway, if you have any experience with the RB-61s yet (especially with your Trends), I would love to hear about it.

Nope. Busy with work lately so not much time to get out and around. However a local friend of mine brought his Trends out and auditioned the Klipsch. He came away slightly disappointed claiming they were not musical.

I may just cop out and go for a pair of Audioengine 5.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...audioengine-a5

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 40
I'll suggest another route: get a different amp than the Trends. Not because I've heard it and don't like it, but because it seems to be limiting you speaker choices too much. I personally feel that extremely high efficiency speakers tend to sound "honky" in the midrange. I you spent maybe 150-200 on a cheap and/or used receiver/integrated amplifier, then you would still have 300-350 for the speakers.

Without too much thought about a synergistic (sp?) combo, I'll throw out: Panasonic xr-55 and Eltax Monitors. I've never heard the Eltax Monitors, but they are reported to sound even better than the much hyped Onix X-LS monitors.

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #30 of 40
BTW, the HK dealer is in Central: No.1 Duddell Street, Central

I can't remember which floor its on but just so that you're in the right building, the Focal JMLabs dealer (Shun Woo Audio) should also be in the same building.

They have the whole B&W range there driven by Classe gear. I've been up there a few times before and they're very accomodating. One caveat: you may have to book a separate appointment if you want to have a serious listen in one of the three listening rooms. Have fun
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back