2.0 studio monitor setup
Mar 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

smoth

New Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade from my hand-me-down Bose 201 Series II bookshelf speakers.  I have a max budget of $800 but would like to keep it around $500.  I will be feeding them with my computer through an Asus STX.  I currently have a 70Wx2 @8ohm amp that works fine but am thinking that active studio monitors might be a better way to go.  They will be in an untreated room and will need to be on stands about a foot from the wall.  Since I have 3 24" monitors side-by-side, these will either be about 6 ft apart or above the displays angled down.  I will add a sub once I have some more money.

[8][    ][    ][    ][8]

[8]          [8]
[    ][    ][    ]

Some options I have read good things about are:
Behringer B3031A ~$400used
JBL 2328P ~$600used
KRK Rokit 8 ~$350used

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers or any other suggestions?  

Thanks

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 4
Add Mackie MR8 and Yamaha HS80M to your list of actives.

Are you sure that power amp won't be good with passives?  In which case I would recommend Polk Audio RTI A3 or B&W S685.

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 4
I will look into those as well. 

I have only heard good things about Adams and Focal, but they are so much more expensive than all of the other ones that I have been looking at.  I can only just fit both of their least expensive monitors into my budget (A3x and CMS 40).  I think I would be happier with the greater bass extension of the 8" speakers I am looking at with only a minor trade-off in midrange accuracy, especially since the room is untreated and speaker placement is not optimum.

The amp works fine so I am not opposed to passives if it could match the sound of the active options I am looking at.  I just figured since I move every few months with school and and since space is at a premium, maybe actives would be easier (less connections, less equipment, fewer wires).  Obviously a little extra inconvenience for a better sounding system would be well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back