2.0 speaker-setup for my PC
Aug 28, 2012 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GamerOne

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a pair of really good sounding speakers for my PC. I've got about €500-600 to spend.

I want a pair of well-balanced, neutral speakers with good clarity and lots of details. Well, at least as good as I can get for the money
tongue_smile.gif

I've mainly been looking at B&W MM-1, Audioengine 5+ and Monitor Audio BX2.

The downside to the BX2 is that I'll also have to get a DAC+amp if I get those, and that might set me back more than €500-600. Also, that kind of setup takes up a lot more space. Although if someone knows of any small, not too expensive but still well-performing amp you're welcome to recommend it. I've looked a bit at the Marantz MCR603 wich seems like a nice little amp(wich also has a DAC). I've found a couple of UK-shops that sell the MCR603+BX2-combo for £600, wich is a great deal!
Only thing I don't like about the MCR603 is that it has a CD-player, wich I have no use for. Feels a bit unecessary paying extra for something I'll never use.

Would love some opinions on the matter. Of course you're also welcome to recommend other good speakers/setups
normal_smile .gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 7
I just got the A5+ for use in the living room. So far I'm not sure how neutral I would classify them, but I did A/B them in the shop against the older A5 (which I owned for nearly 3 years). Between the 2, the A5+ is definitely more neutral, with tighter bass.

Do you have any test tracks you'd like me to try out? What gear have you used that you would consider neutral?

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Neutral, clarity and details = Emotiva airmotiv 5

These seem really nice! Just found another pair of speakers that according to a review are even a bit better than the Emotiva, namely Adam Artist 3/5.

The Adam Artist 3 seem like a really nice choice, but I'm wondering wich one is best out of Artist 3 or A3X?

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Looks like the ARTist series is the multimedia line which offers more flexibility in terms of input and has higher powered amps.

The Ax series is the 'budget' model of the higher end studio monitors (until the new F5 line is released this October)

If you can afford them, I'd recommend the ADAM's over anything in the same price range.

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Looks like the ARTist series is the multimedia line which offers more flexibility in terms of input and has higher powered amps.

The Ax series is the 'budget' model of the higher end studio monitors (until the new F5 line is released this October)

If you can afford them, I'd recommend the ADAM's over anything in the same price range.

Yeah, I'm mainly leaning towards the Adam's at the moment :) From what I've read the Artist 3 is also suppose to have a bit better mids than the A3X, which is also a plus.

Another plus is that the Artist 3 has a built-in DAC. Sure, it might only be 16/48, but almost all my music is 16/44.1 anyway :p And I can always just buy a better DAC later on if I feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back