2.0 Speaker Recommendations
Jan 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #18 of 26
I have always preferred the unpowered speakers paired with an amp, even a t-amp of whatever flavor you can afford.

However, it depends more on the music you prefer. Your choices will be your own, and may require more bass than I. I built my 2.0 desktop computer system around jazz and vocal rendering. I chose a full range speaker (tekton) and power them with a nice T-amp (Mardis 3.0) which is no longer available. Newer options are the Dayton you mentioned, and the Virtue amp.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #19 of 26
Since I am in college and will be moving around each year, I would like a simpler set up in addition to monitors being designed for near field listening. 

I'm now considering buying:

Ma Audio BX5a Deluxe pair locally for $200 although I would assume I get talk him down on the price.
        I have heard there are many issues with quality control, although everyone says the sound great the time they last.

Swan D1080mkii 08 with a sub if needed right away.
        I honestly haven't read many opinions on them.

KRK Rokit RP5 G2 for close to $300
        Pretty much recommended by everyone, great all around performer.

RRK Rokit RP6 G2 the ferrari gray for $300
        Same as above, although the extra bass extension would be nice.

Mackie MR5
        Bassier but can be muddy. A lot of varying opinions from what I have read.

JBL LSR2325P

Does anyone have experience between these or recommendations? Keep me mind they will basically be placed right up next to the port so I am leaning towards the Rokits since they are front ported. I mostly listen to alternative and hard rock with a good amount of hip-hop mixed in and classical when studying. 

Thanks for all the help, I've spent hours reading on this site and there is much more left to read.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #20 of 26
The PRODIPE PRO 5 is better than the rokits for around the same price, they have better mids and a more netruel sound, less boosted bass than the rokits and don't sound as harsh.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #21 of 26
Just FYI...http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Bi-amplified-Reference-Monitors/product-reviews/B0014IEBM0/ref=cm_cr_pr_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I'd stay away from M-audio...for now at least...

Brian

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 26
[size=11pt] I vote against the  KRK Rokit 5's. I had them for a short period of time.... I tried to give them a good chance, to break them in, but I just couldn't stand them.  They sounded muffled and thin.[/size]

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
Just FYI...http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Bi-amplified-Reference-Monitors/product-reviews/B0014IEBM0/ref=cm_cr_pr_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Brian

I have the original BX5's (not BX5As). They had a problem with poor solder connection at the power supply filter caps the caused the connection to the cap from the rectifier diodes to be lost but the cap was still in the amp circuit. This caused the positive 12 volt regulator to blow. fortunately it did no other damage & I was able to fix it myself. I modded mine so the woofer amps are full D.C. coupled meaning they can amplify down to & including D.C. voltages. This involves a certain degree of risk as you don't actually want D.C. on the drivers but the sound quality improvement is way worth it. I also bypassed the poor trace that caused the problem & they have been working beautifully every since. Great speakers once you get past this poor soldering issue. Note I also bypassed the subsonic filter & got very good improvement in the bass without overdoing it.

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 26
[size=11pt] By the way,  OZ Home Theater has the has the D1080MkII's for $149, shipped, if you're still thinking about them.[/size]

Just FIY...these are NOT the same as the D1080MkII 08's. http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-d1080mkii08&cPath=21_24&products_id=161

Brian

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #25 of 26
Very good info...thanks!

Quote:
Quote:

Brian

I have the original BX5's (not BX5As). They had a problem with poor solder connection at the power supply filter caps the caused the connection to the cap from the rectifier diodes to be lost but the cap was still in the amp circuit. This caused the positive 12 volt regulator to blow. fortunately it did no other damage & I was able to fix it myself. I modded mine so the woofer amps are full D.C. coupled meaning they can amplify down to & including D.C. voltages. This involves a certain degree of risk as you don't actually want D.C. on the drivers but the sound quality improvement is way worth it. I also bypassed the poor trace that caused the problem & they have been working beautifully every since. Great speakers once you get past this poor soldering issue. Note I also bypassed the subsonic filter & got very good improvement in the bass without overdoing it.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #26 of 26
I just got a pair of tannoy reveal 501as from amazon and I'm really enjoying them. I can't really compare them to any other monitors since their all I've heard but I'd say their worth considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back