2.0 Setup in a Cramped Space
Dec 30, 2009 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nautikal

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for another thread about a 2.0 setup... I've been researching for several days now and still have some questions.

I need some speakers that I can use for my computer and for general use (e.g., parties). My source will be a MHDT Constantine DAC from my computer and an iPod line out for entertaining. The problem is I haven't been able to find anything that completely meets my needs. My computer desk is small and is cornered by the shelf that sits on top of it (I live in a dorm), so smaller, front-port speakers are preferable. It's essentially like the desk in this picture.

I know smaller speakers aren't ideal for entertaining purposes, but I'm more interested in quality of bass than quantity. I tried the Audioengine A5s, but they were too boomy for me... there was way too much mid/high bass. Part of this was because they were close to my wall (again, small desk), but they were still boomy when I put the speakers on top of foam and moved them to a very open area. The speakers will be <4" from the wall, so bass reflections are definitely an issue.

From reading it sounds like the Swans M200 series have the sound signature I'm looking for (flat), but they are rear-ported (and also gigantic).

The KRK RP5G2s are attractive because they are front-ported. However, they are computer monitors and don't have a volume control. Should I get these and use a preamp for volume control? Space for the preamp isn't an issue as I have space on one side of my desk. Are computer monitors suitable for general use in semi-large spaces or are they too directional/near-field?

The Audioengine A2s are very small, front-ported, and compact, but I'm not sure if I will like their sound since I didn't like the A5s. Also, I think they might be too small/weak for general use.

Any other suggestions? My budget is around $300, but I'd be willing to spend up to $500 if I found speakers that had volume adjustment and were compact, front-ported, and well-suited for general use.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 11
It might be kinda hard to find a speaker that will sound the way you want it to that close to rear wall boundary. The speakers are sounding boomy because they have built in BSC (baffle step compensation) which is basically overcompensating when you put them close to a rear wall.

Have you ever considered DIY? Your $300 - $500 would go much further and you would be able to customize the sound to your liking. Uber-Stealth Audio will build the cabients for you if you lack to the tools and/or time to build them yourself.

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 11
Hmm... toughy --

Because of your corner sitting desk - with desk sides on each side, sound reflection is your biggest issue.

I see you have the Phillips computer speakers... how do you like them??

I'd try the A2's since the A5's are too boomy for you. They do have different sound and I'd say they would be perfect for your situation. They are definitely not as loud as the A5's and will be less boomy for sure...but may still come accross as boomy because of bass reflections from your 2 desk walls+1 drywall.

For parties, with the A2's they may not be loud enough since they tend to clip/distort at volumes above 70% or so. If you do not like them, you do have a 30day trial period.

... If they do not work... then --- ummm.... I know I might get crucified for saying this: Try the Bose MusicMonitors. --- If there's a Bose store near you, they will give you a 30day -100% refund policy also. LOL, THEY ARE $399 USD THOUGH!

I did a review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/bo...eakers-461444/
Had the Bose for about 2.5weeks...and travelled with them.-Then returned them... I kept the A2's.

The Bose are Side-ported, and Bass is definitely strong* [less than the A2's] and sufficient enough for your dorm room. The Bose's bass will be amplified by your walls. They do have very sparkling highs [strong Bose Eq in effect] --- and may cause listener fatigue when you are listening at your desk-close-field.

Try both... they both have 30day return policy. I'd go with the A2's... but the Bose MM's may have its place
tongue_smile.gif

With either speakers, I'm sure you'd get lots of compliments! --- the girls love the little Bose MM's [dunno why- they are soo small!
wink.gif
]

Good LUck!

__________L

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever considered DIY? Your $300 - $500 would go much further and you would be able to customize the sound to your liking. Uber-Stealth Audio will build the cabients for you if you lack to the tools and/or time to build them yourself.

Sounds like a fun project, but I don't even have close to the amount of time required for that as a college student.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUCIDD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... toughy --

Because of your corner sitting desk - with desk sides on each side, sound reflection is your biggest issue.

I see you have the Phillips computer speakers... how do you like them??

I'd try the A2's since the A5's are too boomy for you. They do have different sound and I'd say they would be perfect for your situation. They are definitely not as loud as the A5's and will be less boomy for sure...but may still come accross as boomy because of bass reflections from your 2 desk walls+1 drywall.

For parties, with the A2's they may not be loud enough since they tend to clip/distort at volumes above 70% or so. If you do not like them, you do have a 30day trial period.

... If they do not work... then --- ummm.... I know I might get crucified for saying this: Try the Bose MusicMonitors. --- If there's a Bose store near you, they will give you a 30day -100% refund policy also. LOL, THEY ARE $399 USD THOUGH!
L

That's not actually my desk... just a picture showing what my desk looks like. I'll definitely give the A2s a try though since I can always return them.

I picked up some KRK RP5G2s last night at Best Buy to try out, and I like them a lot better than the A5s. They are more detailed, not boomy, and the lower bass is a lot better. Still, I'm not 100% happy with them... they sound good, but I don't enjoy listening to them. I think I'm too spoiled and used to my headphones setup (see sig).

What do people think about the NHT M-00? They have a switch for near-field and mid-field listening and seem to be designed to be placed in a cramped space.

nht_m00_2.jpg

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 11
NHT is well respected by just about everyone (even DIY guys), def. worth a shot.

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 11
I sent back my A5s and got A2s, and I like them a lot better. They sound much more natural and aren't boomy. I think I might keep these for my desktop and portable applications and then buy a pair of active speakers or maybe even a speaker and stereo receiver setup for general listening in larger, open spaces.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 11
cool!!! A2's are great at a reasonable price! I found that my a2's sounded even cleaner after burnin... And at louder volumes, you may find that the amp (back panel where the volume knob) in the left speaker gets pretty hot--- so I put a low profile CPU-like heatsink on the panel and installed a CPU fan- which solved all heat problems... Seams to handle more power(volume) now- with very strong bass!
How loud does yours get before it has noticeable distortion???

I like them so much, I'm considering to get the audioengine ap4's- to replace all my klipsch reference speakers;p on my 7.1 ht system. So for your larger listening area system, if you get received, then ap4's may be an option for you too! ...or do u wanna buy some klipsch speakers,?

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 11
Just got the MoPADs... I don't know how anyone uses speakers without these or some other form of isolation pad or stand. So much crisper and less boomy. They pretty much solved the resonance problems I was having at louder volumes. I'm going to test them out with the KRKs in a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back