2.0 powered bookshelfs or not powered + amp under 400€ for PC
Apr 5, 2015 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Leo7

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to change my very old Logitech x530 and i want to get 2.0 bookshelfs, i'll use them on my PC. My budget is 300-400 euro but ill be happy if it will cost me less. Right now im not sure what to chose , powered speakers like audioengine A5+ or JBL lrs305, or to get an amp and focal chorus 705 or Wharfedale diamond 10.2 . The models i mention are just for example, im open to more options.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 14
  I want to change my very old Logitech x530 and i want to get 2.0 book shelfs, I'll use them on my PC. My budget is 300-400 euro but ill be happy if it will cost me less. Right now im not sure what to chose , powered speakers like Audioengine A5+ or JBL lrs305, or to get an amp and focal chorus 705 or Wharfedale diamond 10.2 . The models i mention are just for example, I'm open to more options.

You might try to see how much a speaker amplifier will cost you and where you have space to place it.
Personally I like self-powered studio monitors, no separate speaker amplifier taking up my limited desk space.
So I vote JBL LSR305.

Try asking on the AVforum (UK), they should be able to point out the best bargains in Europe, at least better then us Yanks, over the pond, in the colonies.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 14
  Thank you for answers, what other options i have on powered monitors beside JBL?

Emotiva, Mackie, KRK, Yamaha, see if you have any stores near your that sell pro-audio products.

You will want some kind of audio interface to give you a DAC and volume control for the powered speakers.  Brands like Lexicon and Focusrite sell some affordable options.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 14
  I will order from amazon.co.uk or amazon.de . The sound quality will be better if i get pasive monitors and amp?

Hard to say, it's very subjective.  With the advent of T-amps, nearfield bookshelves offer a lot of value because you can easily power them.

I think if you are just getting into the hobby, grab some powered speakers for the added simplicity.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 14
I will order from amazon.co.uk or amazon.de . The sound quality will be better if i get pasive monitors and amp?

Hard to say, it's very subjective.  With the advent of T-amps, nearfield bookshelves offer a lot of value because you can easily power them.

Agreed.

Plus price/performance values on audio equipment vary from country to country, region to region. Could be one or the other is a better value where you are. Definitely might ask at AVForums like PurpleAngel suggested.

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 14
  I will order from amazon.co.uk or amazon.de . The sound quality will be better if i get passive monitors and amp?

Low costing passive speakers (good bang for the buck).
Dayton Audio B652, guessing they would sell for around 50 Euros for a pair.
Pioneer SB-BS22, around 100 Euros, for a pair.
Find yourself a decent (used) low costing stereo amplifier 30 to 100 Euros (?).
I would think you could get speakers and an amp, decent enough for under 200 Euros.

I believe studio monitors are more about clarity and short listing distances.
Where as passive speakers are more about filling a room with a fun and loud sound for enjoyment (not as much concentrating on the details).

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 14
NFB 11.28 or R2R 11
s0t0k1G.jpg

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 14
Well, from what I read in the link topic below I realized that NFB 11.28 is neutral and detailed, the R2R 11 is smooth and musical, but in the end they are more alike than different.

Again, another instance of you recommending based on others opinions rather than having hands on use with them. Stop doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back