2.0 or 2.1 PC Speaker Set-up (College)
Jan 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Lew

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, it's been a while for me to be browsing through these forums. I am looking for a PC or laptop speaker set-up with a budget hopefully around $130, more or less (may be able to expand up to $200 if it's good). I currently rent an apartment in college, and don't have much space anymore. A while back, I bought a old 5.1 Marantz Receiver and used Insignia bookshelves and they are taking up a bit of space. I may be thinking of replacing it with another set-up.

Way back I had my eye on the Swans M-200, but they don't see to make them anymore. What do you guys think of the MKII or III, seems a bit pricey. How about the 2.0 Creative T10, T20, or T40. Klipsch 2.0?

The Logitech Z-2300 2.1 seemed pretty popular among college kids couple years back, don't know how it holds up with audiophiles, with all the bass wars, haha. I don't care too much about a subwoofer and small tweeters; but I'm fine either way (I could annoy the neighbors with the sub if I wanted to).

Or should I just sell the receiver and replace it with a T-amp and call it done? I want to see my options here.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 14
I was able to listen to the Logitech Z-2300 at a friend's house a few weeks ago, and it actually sounded pretty darn decent. Then again, most of the things they were blasting through it was Asian techno/trance, but when I got to listen to a few tracks that had actual instruments in them, even close-up they sounded nice.

If I was going to go out on a limb, they reminded me of the KSC75. Don't quote me on that though (watch some lamebrain do it anyway).

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 14
I have the AudioEngine A2s, and they sound amazing. They're also highly recommended on this forum. A little heavy on the bass, but you can EQ that out. They retail for $200, but you may be able to find them cheaper if you look around.

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 14
The A2's live up the the hype.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 14
...Yeah, at this rate, probably best to go with the A2.
tongue.gif

I want to buy them, but I can't, thanks to college people around. All they'll want to do is steal it for parties and see if the volume can go to 11.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 14
Well, back when I was upgrading my PC, I had a similar issue. I referred to my friend who's more of an audiophile than I am to come up with a recommendation with a $200 limit. He had an incredibly tough time since he claims there aren't really any good ones at that price range (he's more into bookshelf-sized speakers) but he did find the A2's and the Aego M's. Unfortunately, I believe the latter has been discontinued.

Anyway, he has heard both systems and although neither system is perfect, he claims he prefers the sound of the Aego's more. According to him, there's some sort of hole in the Aego's mid-bass response, whereas the A2's overemphasized something or other.. (I can't remember what he said.. either mid-bass or mids.)

I currently have the Aego's and I quite enjoy them though. The Aego's do come with a sub where the A2 doesn't have one, which is why I assume they overemphasized whatever section it did to give the illusion of bass.

I believe Audioengine's 25% coupon is still in effect, so you could get the A5's for just about $263. I'm not sure how they sound, but I'm considering getting them. The only thing stopping me is they are way too large to fit on my puny desk in my tiny room.
frown.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 14
The A2s are self powered, you wouldn't exactly want to drive them from a headphone amplifier. I have them connected to the rear "stereo" output on the back of my desktop (in other words a 3.5mm out but not really intended for headphones). I plug my headset in to the headphone port on the front of my case
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkScythe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe Audioengine's 25% coupon is still in effect, so you could get the A5's for just about $263. I'm not sure how they sound, but I'm considering getting them. The only thing stopping me is they are way too large to fit on my puny desk in my tiny room.
frown.gif

do u have a link for the 25% coupon?

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 14
The coupon code is MW09.
As far as the link goes, I don't have one handy, but it was brought up elsewhere on this forum.

I would've thought it'd have expired already, but I just gave it a try and it seems to still accept it, so I guess not. It only applies to purchases made through their online store at audioengineusa.com IIRC.

I ended up biting on the A5's anyway, and am liking them. I'm just trying to sell my Aego's now. If I can't, I'll have to decide whether to return the A5's or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back