2.0 Bookshelf Powered Speaker Suggestions
Oct 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

redvving19

New Head-Fier
Not for a computer but for the bedroom, connecting will be an iphone via Apple Dock Connector to 3.5mm Audio/USB Charge.  Will sit on top of a dresser. 

Price Range: 100 - 200

M-Audio av40 (concerned about leaving them on and the blue light around the volume being too bright)
Audioengine a2

any other suggestions, figured this would be the right subform as it will most likely be PC speakers purchased.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 17
I'd go with the bx5a over the av40 if you can find a used set (check craigslist, i found a set for $150).

if not, i'd go with the a2 over the av40. the only thing i dislike about the a2 is the volume knob is on the back. kinda of a hassle, imo. but they seem to be incredibly strong for their size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTS3BBTfgQY

although a 2.1, i'd also recommend the swan m10. i've been enjoying mine for the past few days. $130 brand new shipped.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 17
Just another thing to consider, they've done some studies, and apparently blue leds are not good for sleep, can't find the study right now but yea, red and green don't do anything but blue does something disruptive or bad over time. You can always just tape over them though, don't let the led decide whether or not you buy something

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 17
They way the Light seems to be around the volume knob is going to make it hard to cover, it is stupid that such a small thing changes consideration on a sound device but it is important in this setting

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Not for a computer but for the bedroom, connecting will be an iphone via Apple Dock Connector to 3.5mm Audio/USB Charge.  Will sit on top of a dresser. 

Price Range: 100 - 200

Why not look at the second hand market?

You could buy an amplifier and separate speakers I think for $200 which would actual produce a very excellent sound.

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 17
Blue led? Make a decal out of some electrical tape, stick it on too of the led, done... Don't let a led get in the way of good speakers.

Same as not letting a volume knob on the back of the a2 get in the way of enjoying it's minimalistic design and wonderous sound!
Music/sound quality first... If you want ergonomics, get a Bose system!lol!

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 17
I bought my speakers from craigslist too they work flawlessly, and at over 50% off. look at the KRK's too they are supposed to be very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back