2.0/2.1 speaker setup for $200-$400
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikalCarbine257 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Volume is cranked up to 10 as well. I'm starting to consider getting her something else and either keeping these for myself and running a HDP setup on my PC or returning them

Then the problem is the signal strength - the Sys is a passive preamp, meaning it's basically an in-line attenuator. Unlike a line driver with active components that can add noise or influence the sound in some way, a passive preamp basically just controls the level of the signal going into it. Basically, if the phone outputs a max 1.2volt signal, then the Sys sends a 1.2volt maximum, single-ended signal into an input designed for higher voltage (balanced) connections. 

Massdrop had the M100 MkII some time ago so they should be available online elsewhere. I did a quick Google search and found some but I have no idea where you are, so I'm not sure which one is economical for you to order from.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 22
I am ordering a set of swan m50s from mass drop.  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/swan-m50w-multimedia-speaker-system
I hope these sound good lol.  I have a set of logitech z623s right now.  I know people seem to dislike these but to me they sound fantastic and iv listened to several monitors at guitar center and they didnt impress me.  Granted i hated my first set of z623s in all honesty they sounded horrible they sounded muddy, the mids were recessed and the highs well it tried to make them but ended up just buzzing. So i sent them back and exchanged them.  I think my second set was part of the original runs as they are so different its night and day. The controls were more solid and smooth compared to the loose gritty ones in the first set.  The second set was no longer muddy but tight sounding and the mids were present and it could produce sparkles in the highs.  So i dont know if i got a golden set of z623s or what but they have been lovely since i exchanged the first set.  

I just hope the swans live up to my expectations.  

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #20 of 22
I just checked them out and it looks pretty sketchy to me.  For one they open the item and test it before shipping at least thats what they say.  I dont want an opened and touched product.  secondly there are alot of bad review lurking about for gearbest about selling used/damaged goods.  Have you purchased from them before?

good_info1.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #21 of 22
LMAO just for fun i started a checkout from them they want $195 for shipping roflmao.  Also they ship from china so no telling where these products are coming from or their warranty.  I will stick with massdrop as i know they deal with legit distributors. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #22 of 22
I tried a 1/8" to dual XLR cable and the signal levels were much much better, it looks like the SYS has some attenuation even at 100% volume. I'll be sticking with LSR305's now! If she wants to use them for her PC I'll consider grabbing a DAC/AMP combo. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back