1st. time ipod/imod questions - need help please!
Aug 7, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys I just got my 80GB imod from Ken, it's great but will be evn better when I can listen to it!

I haven't plugged it in to the PC yet. I have searched and searched and can't find answers to these specific questions.

Here is what I want, I read that it can be done but now that it's time, I don't know how to do it:

Obviously I want to put some music on it. Can I do this without putting itunes on my PC? I don't want to install itunes because I'm scared of it messing up my carefully sorted 80GB music library.

I need to be able to plug it into other PCs, which I can't put itunes onto (people at work) and share music back and forth to listen to on the imod. Is that possible without Rockbox?

Can I just install Rockbox straight off the bat without installing itunes on the PC? I mean, I can find the instructions to install Rockbox but can I just plug the imod into the PC and go for it?

I want Rockbox anyway so I can listen to my flacs. Is anyone using any build successfully and where is a link to it? I just wasted half of the last 24 hours researching this and couldn't get an answer. The other 12 hours I wasted on the itunes question above!

I'm sure the answers are out there but I can't find them and want to get my imod burning in!

Any advice, pms, MSN offers etc much appreciated!

Best,

Steve.

Hahahaha....you got it at last !!
I knew you will get one eventually after that meeting
tongue.gif

Now we have at least 4 Imods in Adelaide
cool.gif

Another meet up again !!!!!
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #17 of 22
I just installed Rockbox on a gen 5 iPod last night. It really was much easier than I expected. From the rockbox home page, ckick the "current build" link in the top left corner. Once in there, scroll down to the bottom of the page where there are pictures of different players. Click the iPod video. Save the zip file on your desktop. Go back to the home page and click the "manual" link to download the manual. It has very easy to follow instructions on how to complete installation. Besides the ziped Rockbox file, you'll also need to download a bootloader file that's linked to from the manual. It's really a piece of cake.

Be aware though, that the default Rockbox GUI looks small and crude compared to the Apple one. But there seem to be a million ways to customize it to your liking.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GodEater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming from your last post in our forums that you're not likely to look there again soon - so I've come here instead to ask (politely, I hope), what it was exactly you found confusing about both the rockbox website, and our instructions.

I'm very sorry you didn't appear to like the answers I gave you - I thought I was fairly clear - but you didn't appear to give me much time to expand on them.

I'm also keen to hear from the (apparently hoards) of headfi users who think I'm a jerk. I didn't realise I was so famous!

--

PS: I'm not here chasing the $100 either - I'm really not fussed what you do with it - I'm honestly concerned that we appear to have disgruntled you somehow.

GodEater, thanks for coming to follow up. Personally I would have preffered PM or email to discus things but this is a public domain and I started it so fair enough, here we are. I do owe you an apology as I was frustrated with my own lack of very basic PC knowledge as much as anything and jumped to false conclusions regarding apparently non existent errors in the manual. Having read hundreds of posts on your forum I felt that many people with legitimate questions had been treated unfairly and ridiculed due to their lack of knowledge by yourself an others. This set me up to expect similar treatment. I also did have other headfiers mention in messages to expect a certain style of communication from you. I won't be naming them, they can post here or PM you if they want to share their opinion publicly.

Looking back I can see that the error was mine and that yourself and others honestly were trying to help. Obviously rockbox is not intended for incompetent bumbling buffoons such as myself and that seemed to be the way you want to keep it. Understandably I guess, who has time to answer so many basic questions? The technical issues I had were my fault entirely and I shouldn't have made accusations.

For those headfiers interetsed, here is the rockbox thread to save you searching.
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=12001.0

After all that I did get it successfuly installed and really love it, so thanks for such an excellent piece of software. It works perfectly for me and does everything I want. Battery life is no concern to me.

Looking back it really was very easy to install in the end. It seems so simple now
rolleyes.gif
. I learnt something anyway.

I shouldn't have said it but did mean it about the pledge of a donation, I think it's worth the money, I appreciate all the effort people have put in and I have some spare now that my tax return came through. Donation forthcoming.

Best,

Steve.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbird1927 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahahaha....you got it at last !!
I knew you will get one eventually after that meeting
tongue.gif

Now we have at least 4 Imods in Adelaide
cool.gif

Another meet up again !!!!!
wink.gif

I am definitely keen for another meet, I missed the last one. Wait until I have the Xin Reference I ordered though, should only be a couple of years.

Also, in the fonts I found one thats ideal, can't remember what it's called now and imod is at home burning in but it was big clear writing.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The replies given in that thread were hardly rude; they were straight to the point. That is really the standard kind of reply you'd expect to get in any computer/technical forums.

I know, you're right. I was just tired and frustrated and out of line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back