1st Post - Help with Onyko HF ios Player and MQA
Jul 20, 2018 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PhillyAcct

New Head-Fier
I purchased 3 MQA albums from the Onkyo Music site. The following playback chain works:
MQA Album on PC>Audirvana Plus (I get blue MQA dot)>ifi Nano idsd Black Label(purple=MQA)>speakers (powered) - everything seems fine (blue and purple dots).

However, when I copy an album to the iphone Onkyo HF Hi Res Player (I paid the $10) via itunes...file sharing...OHFP Documents the album appears in the Hi Res library BUT the following chain fails (No purple):
iphone>Onkyo app>Hi Res Library Album (But the display shows "FLAC 48kHz/PCM 48kHz")> NANO but the display is Green not Purple. I don't have Tidal.

So MQA on the Nano via PC and Audirvana works, but MQA on the iphone and Onkyo HF doesn't.

Any ideas? - This probably belongs either in the Onkyo HF forum or the ifi Nano idsd Black Label forum.

Sorry for the length (1st post).
Thanks
John

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I think it might be a IOS thing. I have a Chord Mojo and it has the color thing to tell what bitrate and with my iPhone and iPad it is at the lowest and also my Win 10 laptop too but with my MacBook Pro it is maxed out and also with my Win 7 computer. Don’t know about MQA . Unless you have real serious gear I don’t think MQA will be a problem.

Jul 28, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Ok..Here's my solution. I cannot get the Onkyo HF app to play non-Tidal MQA albums (at least those purchased from Onkyo Music). However, Audirvana does work (and allows a 2nd copy). So..for $100 I got an 8" win 10 tablet (Nuvision - Warning-the tablet really doesn't like updates...but with effort you can get them to work!) and installed Audirvana. Onyko MQA Album>Win 10 Tablet+Audirvana>ifi Nano Black Label> FLC 8n + purple light.

This may be helpful to someone. Has anyone been able to get Onkyo HF to work with Non-Tidal MQA albums?

John

May 2, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 6
Ok..Here's my solution. I cannot get the Onkyo HF app to play non-Tidal MQA albums (at least those purchased from Onkyo Music). However, Audirvana does work (and allows a 2nd copy). So..for $100 I got an 8" win 10 tablet (Nuvision - Warning-the tablet really doesn't like updates...but with effort you can get them to work!) and installed Audirvana. Onyko MQA Album>Win 10 Tablet+Audirvana>ifi Nano Black Label> FLC 8n + purple light.

This may be helpful to someone. Has anyone been able to get Onkyo HF to work with Non-Tidal MQA albums?

John
Hi John. To answer your question I've just purchased my first MQA album from highresaudio.com (Bob James 'Feel Like Making LIVE!') and yes, it does work through the Onkyo HF Player. The headphone DAC I'm using is a THX Onyx. The file is identified as FLAC 48kHz so the indicators on the Onyx are blue.

May 2, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 6
Try Amarra Play in your IOS device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back