1st post: Headphones for office use; laptop powered. *searched*
May 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bikinpunk

New Head-Fier
First let me say that I've spent the last 2 days reviewing different headphones of all sorts; reading this site, amazon reviews, numerous other site reviews, and headphone.com's reviews/graphs. I am now officially back where I started: confused as all hell!

My intent is to buy a nice set of over the ear phones (closed) so that I can block out ambient noise, while keeping others from hearing my headset. My budget is about $100 as that's a nice round number to start with and I think I can get what I want in that price range.

I'm very much into audio, but I do not mix, record, or engineer. I just listen. All sorts. I compete in car audio sound quality and would really appreciate the ability to double-use the headphones as a good 'reference' with my selective tracks along with everyday office use. The phones will be powered off the laptop about 95% of the time, and the other 5% will be iPod on the plane.

I was this close to purchasing a set of Sony mrd-v6's when I saw this post, with what seems to be a lot of distaste for that set. I also was looking at Senn HD280Pro's. I've been comparing a lot of feedback to Senn HD650's which seem to have better low end response than most headphones I've seen, but they are about $200+ out of my budget.
frown.gif

Overall, I just want something with a relatively flat response for office use, powered via a laptop. I understand that with my budget a good low-end seems to not be "doable", but hopefully I can get some advice here on sets I haven't thought of yet. Heck, maybe I can get a hold of a good eq program and fix that.
confused.gif

*I have been searching the f/s section here and about 3 other audio sites*

May 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 12
what kills the thought of a closed can for 100$ is the budget.

The 650s are open, which give it a nice airy bass, however will leak sound like mad.

The 280s are a good bet, they fall into your budget and are closed. However, im not to sure as to how easy they are to drive. If its straight out of laptop, might i suggest a small CMOY in the least. It will allow you to use alot more cans out there to a point. Its not a powerful home amp, but it will for sure beat the pants off your laptop sound. Ive been using a small USB dac to my Govibe amp and its a FANTASTIC combo. The Govibe DAC is a PCM2702 chip, which is great for music. I just use it for sound on my laptop, using the on board sound card for windows sounds etc etc.

Also, welcome to Headfi and sorry for whats about to happen to your wallet.

May 30, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kills the thought of a closed can for 100$ is the budget.

The 650s are open, which give it a nice airy bass, however will leak sound like mad.

The 280s are a good bet, they fall into your budget and are closed. However, im not to sure as to how easy they are to drive. If its straight out of laptop, might i suggest a small CMOY in the least. It will allow you to use alot more cans out there to a point. Its not a powerful home amp, but it will for sure beat the pants off your laptop sound. Ive been using a small USB dac to my Govibe amp and its a FANTASTIC combo. The Govibe DAC is a PCM2702 chip, which is great for music. I just use it for sound on my laptop, using the on board sound card for windows sounds etc etc.

Also, welcome to Headfi and sorry for whats about to happen to your wallet.

CMOY= ???

Yea, I understand that the budget is what really puts me off. Let me ask this: would an extra $50 make a considerable difference in my options? For the sake of this post... if you guys want to throw out things that fall under $150 I'll consider them, but I REALLY need to try to stay under $100. I've spent $500 the last 2 weeks just on install materials for my car and my wife will kill me if I keep spending. I've already spent my 'allowance' for the next 2 months.
eek.gif

Thanks for the welcome. If only you knew what car audio has done to my wallet.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...25-1-a-330097/

You just missed this
frown.gif
. I'm not a big fan of big cans, have you considered iems? There is always the ATH-A500. Lots of people like the A700/900.

It's my understanding (or rationale) that IEMs' quality (based on price) wouldn't be as good as cans.

I figure as much based on portability and the fact that people are willing to pay more for things more portable. I've been wrong 3 times in life though.
wink.gif

I won't ignore the possibility, though, if this rationale is wrong.

May 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikinpunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CMOY= ???

Yea, I understand that the budget is what really puts me off. Let me ask this: would an extra $50 make a considerable difference in my options? For the sake of this post... if you guys want to throw out things that fall under $150 I'll consider them, but I REALLY need to try to stay under $100. I've spent $500 the last 2 weeks just on install materials for my car and my wife will kill me if I keep spending. I've already spent my 'allowance' for the next 2 months.
eek.gif

Thanks for the welcome. If only you knew what car audio has done to my wallet.
biggrin.gif

CMOY is a small portable battery powered amp for headphones. Normally pretty cheap, in the 30$ range for a good one. This will give you more power to use different headphones. The laptop sound prob is not the best sounding card out there =) and it will prob not fully power a can to their potential.

If you can stretch the budget a tad more for headphones, the Denon 2000s are pretty nice for closed, run about 200$ used.

I never heard the HD-25, however i heard they are pretty nice for the money.

May 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 12
Hi sir,

Welcome to Head-fi...

I will recommend u some really awesome headphones which will be perfect for your needs.

1st: Sennheiser HD205... i use them ..they are the perfect Laptop powered headphones as they are 32 ohm..and they also have Turnable earcups ..so u can talk to your colleagues while listening music.
They are CLOSED and Supra-aural..which means they fit Over your ears rather than Around them...hence they are portable.

Price: Around $70

2nd: HD25 ..they come in two versions...i suggest the cheaper version HD25 SP II

They are for Sound engineers or Professionals but are really light and portable.

They are also CLOSED and Supra-aural

Price: $100+ ..but have good resale value.

3rd: HD280...

as Highlife said..they are amazing...but due to their high Impedance they will need a decent Soundcard or Amp..
and they are Circumaural & Heavy..

which means not so portable..and they are around $150..so above your budget.

I suggest u give HD205 a try...they are 32 ohm so they work without Amps.

May 30, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-ES7 not much over 100.

havent heard these, however the 9s are pretty sweet sounding for such a small can.

Good suggestion, can find one used in the forums im sure for around 100$ shipped.

May 30, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 12
I was going to through in the D1000. I picked up a pair about a month ago to use in the office and absolutely love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back