1st legit musical hf the SR225i-- price point?
Oct 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

SethSil

New Head-Fier
I listen to a lot of rock on top of everything else: The Beatles, The Kinks, The Zombies, etc.

I also listen to a lot of bluegrass.

I am in no position to audition them or any pair of Grados, but I have a really good feeling about those cans, based on what I read. I want to buy the Grados at a price point I would be able to resell and lose a minimum amount of money if I don't like them or want to upgrade in the future.

I own the HD555s and I really do like them for movies and music is ok but I kind of have a problem with the way they treat male vocalists (especially). edit: I mean to say want a smaller soundstage, i think.

anyway

what is a good price point for the SR225s?

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 38
No more than $140 for a good-condition pair. Maybe a bit less if you are lucky (buyer)/unlucky (seller). If you are just getting into Grados, it may be beneficial to go the (also Grado-made) Alessandro MS-1i route. At $110 new and shipped/approx. $80 used, they are a steal and sound great! Just an idea.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 38
A couple sr225s (not the "i" version) sold for $100-125 recently. I listed mine for $125 and it didn't sell for quite a long while...

Long enough for me to change my mind and decide to keep them
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 38
Thanks jawang! Where's my head at?! I have revised my comment a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-large]400 Posts! BOOYAH![/size]

[EDIT: Wow... I had no idea the above was going to be [size=xx-large]THIS[/size] big.
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 38
I have the Alessandro MS1i's and I love them. You might want to look into them.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 38
Really? are Grado and MS-1 part of the same brand? some places that I read tells me there is some serious difference between the MS-1, with some Grado fans saying they didnt really like the MS-1 sound at all but loved the Sr-225. They say the MS1s are closes to the Sr-125s, which I hear mixed things about. Other places tell me there's almost no difference. Saying one headphone is 95% of another is a statement that somewhat discredits the writer IMO, since it also implies that you have person has some supernatural auditory powers of discernment-- that 5% is precisely where the placebo effect comes in to play. Are these people just delusional is this a matter of maybe just different earpads?

edit: also, is there a consensus for any real difference between the SR-225s and the SR-225i's once they're both burned in?

I basically just want a pair of headphones that will be "fun" to listen to, that I will want to own the rest of my life.

Seriously. No more upgrades after this (until the SR-225s physically fall apart), if I like them.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 38
The Alessandro Music Series headphones (MS-1, MS-2, MS-Pro) are all made by Grado for Alessandro. The MS-1 is considered one of the top buys for <$100 cans. I can't speak for the others, but my MS-1i (with a few simple mods) easily is one of my favorite cans. Not the most detailed, but definitely the most fun I've ever heard.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 38
I'll again second this! The MS-1(i) is the BEST headphone that Grado (and thus Alessandro) offers for approx. $100. No question! (Or at least there is very little to debate about this assertion.) It may be beat out by the SR-225(i), but at around twice the price. As for the SR-125(i), many people prefer the Alessandro, as it's a bit smoother and more fun to listen to over longer periods, imo, although they both start with the same driver.
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll again second this! The MS-1(i) is the BEST headphone that Grado (and thus Alessandro) offers for approx. $100. No question! (Or at least there is very little to debate about this assertion.) It may be beat out by the SR-225(i), but at around twice the price. As for the SR-125(i), many people prefer the Alessandro, as it's a bit smoother and more fun to listen to over longer periods, imo, although they both start with the same driver.
biggrin.gif

twice the price? wow, I didn't realize that. are the differences that subtle?? I know SR225 retail for 200 dollars, but I'm looking at some used in the 120-140 dollar range (maybe the seller cares about finding them a loving, responsible parent heh
smily_headphones1.gif
. anyhow, I have patience.) from what I can see, the MS-1s used seem to go for around 75-85 dollars around here, so it's only about 50 dollar difference? I can swing that if its worth the extra dollars, but at the same time, I don't subscribe to the idea that more money = better Headphones? It's just everywhere I read they say the sr225s are the sweet spot. Im looking for headphones that are versatile (no amp is totally neccessary) but also, that will really Shine with my CmoyBB, headphones that people love and keep (possibly unlike the AKG 701s, which despite everything i read about them seem to be passed around like hot cakes-- maybe cuz they are so "amp dependant"), and I want to be the last buyer of them, and I definitely don't want to "climb the grado ladder" or anything like that. the sr225s might be those phones. and anyway, its just that the hd555s arent great w/ rock music and male vocalists.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 38
The cheapest I've seen a used MS-1 go for is about $65, and that is half of the cost of a used SR-225. So, cost wise, the Alessandro should generally be around half the price if the condition that they are both new or both used is fulfilled. You're right! Don't subscribe to the idea that more $$$ = better headphone experience. The two variables do not scale. This is where the law of diminishing returns kicks in and drains our wallets just to make our listening experiences marginally better. That said, both of these 'phones are rather inexpensive for what you get and represent two constantly acclaimed sweet spots. You will likely be happy with either purchase. It just depends on how much you are happy to spend.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't subscribe to the idea that more $$$ = better headphone experience. The two variables do not scale. This is where the law of diminishing returns kicks in and drains our wallets just to make our listening experiences marginally better.

That is my head-fi philosophy :p, always try to find those good bargains out there.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 38
Alrighty, then! If you are looking for the best bargain, then try to hunt down a good condition MS-1 for a decent price in the FS/FT section. Very little $$$ very well spent!

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 38
MS-1s look nice, and I would take them over the 225s in a heartbeat for the price. But it's hell trying to find a somewhat objective/descriptive opinion of them (surprise).

Some concerns
1. apparently a lot of people prefer the bowl pads over the stock "comfys". I will want to try out the bowl pads, in fact, it was one of the intriguing things to me about the 225s. Some say they sound better, but I'm gonna want to try em out, I'm sure. This would increase the price 15-20 dollars.

2. The cord seems to be shorter than the 225s, some say unusually short. A cable extender would put me up a few bones. like 10 dollars if I went with radioshack, but im not a big fan.

3. I have seen written that the MS-1s really need to be amped (while people say the 225s perform really well unamped). I don't know how much I value these opinions, but I would much prefer the versatility of being able to go amp-less and get comparable fidelity.

4. small things: a lot of people are selling MS-1s compared SR225s, which worries me a little bit. also, MS-1s are supposed to sound better with jazz/etc but I really want to listen to rock, etc. these incremental differences in sound quality are probably least important. but I do value the affection that people here feel for certain headphones, cuz while its totally subjective i think it can also be an indicator of a good pair of cans, and I dont know if people like their MS1s (they're always upgrading, thinking about the MS2s or whatever) like people value their 225s. this seems stupid, i know.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by SethSil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS-1s look nice, and I would take them over the 225s in a heartbeat for the price. But it's hell trying to find a somewhat objective/descriptive opinion of them (surprise).

Some concerns
1. apparently a lot of people prefer the bowl pads over the stock "comfys". I will want to try out the bowl pads, in fact, it was one of the intriguing things to me about the 225s. Some say they sound better, but I'm gonna want to try em out, I'm sure. This would increase the price 15-20 dollars.

2. The cord seems to be shorter than the 225s, some say unusually short. A cable extender would put me up a few bones. like 10 dollars if I went with radioshack, but im not a big fan.

3. I have seen written that the MS-1s really need to be amped (while people say the 225s perform really well unamped). I don't know how much I value these opinions, but I would much prefer the versatility of being able to go amp-less and get comparable fidelity.

4. small things: a lot of people are selling MS-1s compared SR225s, which worries me a little bit. also, MS-1s are supposed to sound better with jazz/etc but I really want to listen to rock, etc. these incremental differences in sound quality are probably least important.

This place is so big, you could ask how black the SR series plastic housing was and you'd get heaps of dweebs saying they think it's white-ish.

1. Try them both. It only costs $20.
2. Cords are exactly the same length.

3. None of the SR range needs amping, and technically neither does ANY Grado. But if you were to spring for an RS1, don't they deserve one? I got very little benefit from amping my MS1 of an average source like a PC/MP3 player, but many people seem to equate louder-ness with extra quality. I got improvement in sound by using a better source, and amping from there can provide some improvement. But it's not much.

4. People are selling MS1's because its a lower end Grado, and people sell to buy up the range or get into other phones; that's what happens to entry level gear. Grado's excel at BOTH Jazz and Rock. It's the presentation of the sound that suits these genres. Rock is bright and punchy and guitars sound great. They have enough clarity to present the subtleties of jazz clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back