1st impressions: AKG K1000 W/Stefan AudioArt Hardwired Cable
Aug 16, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73
"AKG K1000 (partially nude) w/Stefan Audio Arts hardwire and a pint of Dove butter pecan ice cream"

just out of curiousity,what do you mean by partially nude?did you remove the larger or smaller grille?
i am not sure about smaller grille,but removing larger grille will result in wider soundstage,clearer sound.but the differences are more noticable if you toe the driver out(as far away as possible from ears).

I had Vinnie (of red wine audio) install the hardwire for me cause i'm a wimp. He and I mulled over the various possibilities for grill "reduction" and agreed that leaving the outside grills intact would not impede any benefits derived from removing the inner grills. he had already done a removal for someone that uncovered the drivers but left grill protecting the delicate wiring at the bottom. I added the suggestion of leaving the outers alone. and that's what I went with. I felt that with my system I would reap any sonic improvement so it was worth trying. If i had a dog or small child I wouldn't have dared uncover the drivers, but I trust myself to be careful enough not to womp them. although I am definately moving about my rig much more slowly/carefully than before!

do i hear a difference from grill removal? beats the hell outta me. since the wire change was accomplished at the same time I can't tell you what's what. I can tell you that I've never heard a system anywhere as transparent as this is now. there is seemingly nothing between the recorded sounds(intentional and not) and my ears anymore. I can hear/feel the timber of hollow bodied instruments pretty much as well as if I was holding/playing them. it's a little weird and a lot addicting. last night I was playing a first (uk) vinyl pressing of cat stevens teaser and the firecat and I could hear him (thru the vocal change) moving further from the mic a bit. never heard that on any phones or speakers before and I've listened to this pressing a thousand times (even have a backup copy) on a lot of great gear.

also heard undertones from heifetz violin that I didn't know where there. can't wait to research and discover if this is wriiten in by Ludwig or a by-product.

also hear throaty almost growly stuff from Cat Steven's voice that my kef 105.2's don't reveal and that grado rs1's and gs1000's and ety's dont reveal.

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
...... he had already done a removal for someone that uncovered the drivers but left grill protecting the delicate wiring at the bottom. ......

Hehe..that's my pair.

about the outer grille,like i said,should you remove them,the sound will become little bit clearer and soundstages become little bit wider.

actually,my smaller grille was cut to 1/3,just enough to cover the wire/circuit board.

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #18 of 27
I may have to try them nude. I mean how often do you get a "free" upgrade.

I'm pretty clumsy though. Maybe I can figure out a material that will be less metallic that will protect them...

Aug 16, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Hehe..that's my pair.

about the outer grille,like i said,should you remove them,the sound will become little bit clearer and soundstages become little bit wider.

hard to picture it any clearer then it is now, but I believe ya.

now, i just spent 20 minutes reading your profile, and although it revealed an awful lot about your system, how about "taking the grills off" and describing it again just to humour me?

is your wiring stock on yer k1k's? did you degrill them at a time when you made no other changes? if so, what was the effect?

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

hard to picture it any clearer then it is now, but I believe ya.

Try this,take a clothes and cover up the outer grille,listen to it and remove the clothes from the grille,listen to it again,you will hear the same effect.

Quote:

now, i just spent 20 minutes reading your profile, and although it revealed an awful lot about your system,

i didn't write anything in my profile,do you mean you actually just spent 20 minutes reading some of my previous posts?

Quote:

how about "taking the grills off" and describing it again just to humour me?

sorry,i am not a good writer,especially with my limited vocabulary and knowledge.but i will try.

with the grille removed and SAA cable installed,the sound is not as focused as before,but you gain some airiness(??) that will help create a sense of space.some instrument will be placed further left/right.somethings extra will be around the instrument/vocal,i am not sure if it's called air,body or texture,may be something else.overall,a more laid back presentation with wider and deeper soundstage.

Quote:

is your wiring stock on yer k1k's? did you degrill them at a time when you made no other changes? if so, what was the effect?

mine has the stefan audio art equnoxed cable installed,i tried to install the cable myself but i could not put the circuit board back,i have to send it to vinnie to put everything back.

i only listen to them nude with the stock cable for a good 20 minutes,so i might as well shut my mouth up,but one thing for sure,i fall in love with k1000 only after i heard them nude.

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

i didn't write anything in my profile,do you mean you actually just spent 20 minutes reading some of my previous posts?

no, sorry, I was being a wise-guy trying to kid you about the fact that you have absolutely no info in your profile. 20 minutes to study nothing was supposed to be funny. it was an apparently not very deft use of sarcasm and irony.

I hadn't thought of the change as being "not as focused", but I see what you mean. I would say it is less narrow a focus, but not less intense.

I think I understand what you mean by more laid back, but it is not how I would describe it. I'm probably splitting hairs, but if I read "less focused" and "more laid back" I may not have considered making the changes, because I would have thought it would be less powerful a presentation, which it is not.

I still wonder what your source, amp, etc are when you use your k1000's.-?

thanks. I will try the test you suggested (covering the outer grill w/cloth).

Aug 17, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #23 of 27
I've heard removing the pc board or chip???? helps the sound out. (I've never openned mine). Anyone heard or tried this?

Aug 17, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #24 of 27
Can someone point me to pics of a nude k1000?

Thanks,

Biggie.

Aug 18, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I've heard removing the pc board or chip???? helps the sound out. (I've never openned mine). Anyone heard or tried this?

I tried it,the only difference i noticed was it sounded a little bit louder....i didn't give it a serious listen though.(I hold the stock cable with my hand so the cable touched that "iron stick"?? that had the tiny wire wrapped around them.it's really hard to hold still because of the cutted grille vinnie installed to protect the pcb and wire,i gave up after a while.)

Aug 18, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

I hadn't thought of the change as being "not as focused", but I see what you mean. I would say it is less narrow a focus, but not less intense.

I still wonder what your source, amp, etc are when you use your k1000's.-?

if you remove the larger grille,it will sound even more "less narrow a focus".the vocal will sound DIFFERENT too.

did you notice the changes of the bass too?the bass now should has some kind of body which could never be found with the grilles on,very nice.

sources that i have tried :Sony D-303,apogee mini dac,wavelength brick,USBTD.
Amps : t-amp,super T,octopus class d amp.
IC : cardas 300 b.

just sold brick to a friend and place an order for brick silver version today.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back