1st Gen ipod buds vs. Brainwavz M2
Dec 22, 2010 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hyperlite456

New Head-Fier
Just curious....  How much of a difference will there be between the two and will I be pretty impressed?  I've done quite a bit of research on phones and like everything I'm seeing about the M2's, however never been exposed to anything but those damn earbuds.  To me they have crappy sound quality and no "soundstage" whatsoever.  I can hardly hear details and the bass isn't heard unless I push them in my ear.  I do have a good ear for music though as I've been a drummer for years, so most likely I'll know the difference.. Ultimately, I'm just stoked and wondering..will this be like seeing the light?  

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 7
You'll hear very significant improvements in overall audio quality. Going from the M2 to the $350 sennheiser IE8 will, by comparison, confer a much smaller improvement. High end audio is characterized by very severe diminishing returns as you climb the ladder...and very impressive returns on your dollar as you move from zero to mid-fi (and yes, the M2 should be considered mid-fi). Incidentally, for alot of people, the mid-fi tier is a good enough stopping point - especially for portable audio. Your wallet will certainly thank you, though it isn't a very headfi thing for me to say.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
You'll hear very significant improvements in overall audio quality. Going from the M2 to the $350 sennheiser IE8 will, by comparison, confer a much smaller improvement. High end audio is characterized by very severe diminishing returns as you climb the ladder...and very impressive returns on your dollar as you move from zero to mid-fi (and yes, the M2 should be considered mid-fi). Incidentally, for alot of people, the mid-fi tier is a good enough stopping point - especially for portable audio. Your wallet will certainly thank you, though it isn't a very headfi thing for me to say.
wink.gif

:) I appreciate the response.  This is what I was hoping to hear.  I just haven't seen any threads on any forums comparing the two or giving experience going from zero to a mid-fi iem.  I personally live alone at the moment and enjoy working out, so to have some music that will make me impressed/give me an edge at a decent price after all these years is very exciting.

Any other experiences going from zero to the M2's or other mid-fis, feel free to post the differences and/or your reactions.  I'm sure I'll become addicted soon :)

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 7
certainly you will be pleasantly surprised with the M2s (or even the M1s) vs the apple buds.
I recently gave a set of M1s to a friend of mine to try (she was using the standard applebuds)
she was over the moon with the M1s. The M2s are a little step up from the M1s with a bit more bass and warmer mids.
The M2s are really quite a fun IEM.

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 7
I just received these babies today and unfortunately very disappointed...

Ha! just playin.  I am completly amazed.  I'd just like to thank everyone on this forum for knowing so much and all the advice.  So far I've listened to some rock, hiphop, and reggae and all sound amazing.  I know the soundstage isn't rated amazing compared to 200 dollar iems, but its one aspect I've been very impressed with, so I can't imagine the next step.  If you want a good song to appreciate soundstage on these, check out hump de dump by red hot chili peppers. Had the hugest smile ever hearin all sorts of percussion across stage. Like everyone else said, bass is also kickin and listening to guitars is so much more enjoyable compared to those crapbuds.  Overall, to my novice ears - amazing!

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 7
^Glad you're pleased. Now it just remains to be seen whether you stop where you are, content...Or catch the upgrade bug and start climbing.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 7
The way I see it, 60 bucks isn't too pricey for something you love, but to spend more than 100 on phones I'll be lifting with, I think I'll pause here at least until they break, then I'll be searching higher up..in other words..yeah, I'm pretty sure I've already caught the bug.  I'm just hoping I'm not killin my eardrums playin these things 24/7 ha!  Can't be much worse than playing a marching snare drum for quite a while though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back