1MORE MK801 Over-Ear headphones - fancy-schmancy and surprisingly capable [Impressions Thread]
Jan 27, 2016 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

HiFiChris

Headphoneus Supremus

Company Website (product page): http://www.1more.com/1more_the%20bigvoice.htm

Head-Fi Product Page: http://www.head-fi.org/products/1more-mk801-over-ear-headphones-with-in-line-microphone-and-remote-red

When I get inexpensive "full-sized" portable headphones for review, I often find the solid and good for what they are, but it doesn't happen very often that I also really like them personally (being a reviewer, I always try to exclude my personal preferences as much as possible and solely focus on the product's core strengths and flaws, not what kind of sound I personally like or not).
When I accepted the request to review the 1MORE Over-Ear Headphones, I honestly didn't expect too much (especially as they are advertised as "Super Bass Headphones" in the shop that asked me to review them) and thought that they were probably just your average, cheap looking portable headphone with exaggerated, boomy bass and tinny mids - oh boy, I was wrong!
When they arrived, my initial unboxing experience was really good, as I haven't expected a decent packaging and presentation. Once I opened the box, I was even more surprised about how nice they look in real life (the internet photos really don't do them much justice) and how well they feel, too! That matte-red surface isn't just your average cheap soft-touch surface that collects scratches even with a fingernail - it isn't even soft,  rather sleek and quite hard. My "fingernail test" didn't show any sign of a scratch, and the surface doesn't collect fingerprints either.
I also did a "bend test", torturing the headband by twisting and stretching it - the headphone took everything with ease, as they are made of some sort of special metal that is very durable and keeps its shape - nice!
What I don't like however is the fact that the 1MORE looks foldable but it just wants to fool you, as it isn't - boo! 
wink.gif

Okay, the next thing - "something that looks that nice and fancy just can't sound decent" was my next thought, but once I started playback, even this doubt disappeared. What I heard was a really nice, portable-oriented, bassy-dark smooth but non-exaggerated sound with a decent soundstage, good bass speed and control plus really good resolution that I didn't expect, keeping the MSRP (around $79 if I'm not wrong), build quality and aesthetics in mind. During my testing procedure, I compared the 1MORE Over-Ear Headphones with the Brainwavz HM2, Shure SRH440 and Sennheiser Amperior, the last two being quite a bit more expensive. The result was that the 1MORE was easily better than the HM2 and came extremely close to the SRH440 and Amperior (an in-depth review and comparison by me can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/1more-mk801-over-ear-headphones-with-in-line-microphone-and-remote-red/reviews/15106).

Long story short, after for quite a while owning these headphones, I personally still really like their sound quality and think they are really capable for the price.

To introduce you guys to this headphone that I would have easily overlooked if I wasn't introduced to it and to hear your opinion (I think there are probably more owners out there), I created this thread, so feel free to post anything that is related to this headphone.

Here are some pictures I took:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back