1K$ for an amp and/or DAC - which one
Feb 14, 2010 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
I've finally saved a thousand bucks, and I want to upgrade my amp. The trouble is, I have not yet bought a DAC so that is something I must buy too. I am unsure of which to purchase first, but I will be buying both eventually.

Scenario 1 - I could buy an amp worth 1000$ and later on, save up and buy a DAC

Scenario 2 - Buy the DAC and save up for the amp

Scenario 3 - buy both, in which case I can spend a maximum of 1100$ or so.

Now the plan is to build something for keepers, or at least something that will satisfy for another 2 years. Value for money is sacrosanct, but I do not want to compromise on quality. I cannot decide between tube and SS.

I want synergy with Grados and the D7000. A bonus will be good performance with high-impedance (HD650) stuff. Music preferences are rock, classic metal, blues.

Suggestions please.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 19
In my opinion, I would go with WA6 and nice low-to-mid end DAC such as D10, Pico, DacMagic or V-Dac. I believe you will have to buy both used but will be able to buy them under $1100.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 19
Strongly suggest getting in touch with Viren Bakshi from Lyrita Audio and get yourself a 2A3 SET amp. Doubt anything would come closer in that price range.

Valve Amplifiers

There are a few customers of his in Mumbai who am sure would be obliging enough to let you audition his gear at their homes..like i said..get in touch with him.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Under $1100.. I managed to get the WA6 and the Gamma-2 DAC.
Brilliant pair. (Sophia will be a later upgrade for you)

That what my set up is, but I have the maxxed out WA6 with princess. The first time I can tell the difference between 320 and lossless.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 19
I'd get a decent DAC, amp, AND a headphone, AND a nice dinner somewhere with that kind of money. Except I already have a DAC and amp, so all that goes to maybe a STAX or something
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, I would go with WA6 and nice low-to-mid end DAC such as D10, Pico, DacMagic or V-Dac. I believe you will have to buy both used but will be able to buy them under $1100.

How is the synergy of the WA6 with the Denon D7000 or Denons in general?
Also being a tube amp, the WA6 will not be good with low impedance cans right? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about the technicals of amps. Also is the WA6 warm and tubey, or transparent?

BTW I notice you have a WA6 for sale and you also have D5000s. Any comments? How does the WA6 compare to the Raptor?

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the synergy of the WA6 with the Denon D7000 or Denons in general?
Also being a tube amp, the WA6 will not be good with low impedance cans right? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know much about the technicals of amps. Also is the WA6 warm and tubey, or transparent?

BTW I notice you have a WA6 for sale and you also have D5000s. Any comments? How does the WA6 compare to the Raptor?

I think WA6 is really good with both low and high impedance headphones. Denon Dx000s are known to be really good with SS amps but I thought they were great with WA6 and the raptor. WA6 is a tad more tubey compared to the Raptor but both are transparent amps IMO.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 19
The WA6 does great with low impedance headphones.
It has a switch at the back for high and low impedance.
Im running it with my AT W1000 and soon to come AKG K701.
It pairs brilliantly with my W1000.
I have put up pics of my setup on E and TE if you want to see.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 19
If this were to be a one upgrade to last me awhile, would the WA6 SE stock be better than an upgraded WA6? To people who have used both, what are the differences between the two in terms of sound?

Since the price is 1000$, what about the WA2? How does that match up? Is there any thread where I can read up on OTL and transformer coupling? I have tried a search, but if someone knows of some more data, it would be helpful. I was feeling quite elated that I had saved up 1100$ for by audio rig. But it seems even with spending so much, the decision is still not easy
frown.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 19
OK I have been reading up some more. I only got one thread with any meat on the OTL and TC designs, not much info off head-fi.
Now I did mention this amp will be for keepers, so if I spend some 650~750 odd on the WA6, will I regret not shelling out the 400$ extra for the WA6SE or the WA2? I mean, what will I be missing out on?
I would rather buy expensive equipment one at a time if the difference justifies it, then spend now and get that dirty feeling that I should have spent a little more. That being said, 400$ is pretty penny, and will buy me a DAC, so if I could save it, I will be happy to. What difference in sound and how much of a jump am I looking at, for the extra 400$? Yes, I know returns are diminishing when one spends as much, but how much better?

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 19
Woo is awesome...!
icon10.gif

I would like to throw in the mix for you the V-DAC and Mapletree Ear+HD combo. I believe it would still be within your budget. I can confirm this combo has great synergy and it sounds very very good. I use it as one of my desktop setups. Nice clean and detailed sound. The Ear+HD is of course plenty rollable, but the tubes will not cost an arm and a leg if you choose to experiment...

earhdblackfaceangle.jpg

Cheers

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 19
You just made his life harder with more decisions to make!
tongue.gif

@ Vandal.. the Woo is source critical. Do not run it without a good DAC. When I use my EMU USB to WA6.. the SQ is affected considerably. The treble is more congested..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back