1gig Flashbased Players, which one :S
Jan 24, 2005 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

w0lla

100+ Head-Fier
So, Gonna upgrade my mp3 player. was first thinking of buying a hdd player, zen micro, ipod mini,.. But one 1gb is enough for me,( around 200songs,s, if my math is correct). And I want a nice clean player,. So I've come down to 4 players, all 1gb flashbased.

1. iRiver IFP-999
2. iAudio U2
3. iAudio G3
4. iAudio 5

they all cost about the same ( here in sweden ).
The most important thing is sound quality and build q. Appreciate all the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Iam using Sharps MD33s

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 55
If it's sound quality you're after, the iPod shuffle should be #1. I've had all the rest except for the I5 and IFP 999, and the Shuffle is amazing. The IFP 999 doesn't have USB mass storage compliance and iRiver support has gotten shifty over the past year. It shares the same chip as the IFP 799 which has a white noise problem.
No screen on the player, but it's at a really good price. I do most of my listening with UE-10s.

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 55
is Sony NW-E99 as good as the other ones ?, and the display on it , its kinda small. it does only support atrac3 right,and I've heard that the sound quality aint that good (on sony's mp3 players),or?. But it sure is nice
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by nimrodity
the sony supports mp3,i read a lot of reviews and everyone said the sound was very good

Based upon my experience, there is a static noise and an electronic chirping noise which is extremely annoying when listening with e2cs. Link

I am really hesistant about the iFP-999 because of the white noise issue (same internal components at iFP-7xx I believe) and have not tried any of the other players. It seems like iPod Shuffle might be your best bet since people on here have not reported any SQ issues with them. (yet?) Or you can try looking into the Rio Forge 512mb + 1 Gig SD memory card solution. I've heard pretty good things about Forge.

Jan 25, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by w0lla
So, Gonna upgrade my mp3 player. was first thinking of buying a hdd player, zen micro, ipod mini,.. But one 1gb is enough for me,( around 200songs,s, if my math is correct). And I want a nice clean player,. So I've come down to 4 players, all 1gb flashbased.

1. iRiver IFP-999
2. iAudio U2
3. iAudio G3
4. iAudio 5

they all cost about the same ( here in sweden ).
The most important thing is sound quality and build q. Appreciate all the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Iam using Sharps MD33s

I have the IAudio U2 256MB. Its superb, especially sound quality. In fact I think I'm gonna sell it and get the 512MB version. I'd recommend it.

The G3 is basically the same unit (same elctronics and specs) but with a regular AA battery instead of Li-ion. However the people on the iaudiophile baords have been complaining that unlke the U2, the G3 crashes a lot. So there is some firmware or OS problem with it.

But the U2 is simply superb. I really can't say enough good things about it. Love it.

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 55
ipod shuffle and all the iaudio players mentioned all use sigmatel chipsets , the iaudio have 13 mw a channel. I have the u2 512 and it rocks, however I just got iriver n10 and the sound is more rich and full than my iaudio and there is no white noise .

I think I have read that there were no white noise problems with the ifp 900 series and 1000 series . The problem was with the 700, 800 ifps. So if this is true, I would definatly go with the 999 as the radio and recording options are better and the unit is metal . The only thing that sucks is the price.

My second choice would be the I5 because it looks sweet !

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 55
So, Iam come down to two choices ,
1. IFP-999
2. iAudio U2

iRivers products just dropped in price here in sweden, (the IFP-999 dropped about 40%) , so it costs the same as iAudio U2. A friend of mine works at a iRiver service place, so he's gonna take a IFP-990 with him on friday, So that i can test it
biggrin.gif

Anyone using IFP-9xx (series) ?

and whats the deal with the "white noise" ?

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 55
and whats the deal with the "white noise" ?

Hey W0lla, I don't think there was ever a problem with the 900 series. I think it was with the 700 and 800 series. There was a constant very low hiss in the background when the player was turned on.

I think they have fixed it since then , When you check out your friends unit, use some ear buds or canal phones and go into a quite room. Turn the player on and without music and unplug and plug the headphones, if there is a white noise problem you will hear a tiny bit of hiss .

Let me know' as I am thinking of picking up one of these pups myself!

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 55
so thats "white noise" ,.. Iam experiencing that right now with my Nex II (frontierlabs) , and I hate it ! I've read that some people are having problems with their ifp-9xx (white noise) and some arent. Well I'll just have to see on friday,. gonna try it out with my md33s,hopefully there wont be any w.noise.

hows the navigation on the IFP-9xx, and iAudio U2 ? 1gb is a decent amount of music so "navigating" 'my' music library should go smoothly. The IFP-9xx have a 1.2 inch screen/ 8 lines of text , dunno really how big the iAudio U2 screen is , but from pictures it looks smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back