1G/2G iPods: Battery Replacement
Sep 19, 2004 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PatM

Head-Fier
On Friday, I received and installed Newer Technology's iPod replacement battery in my 20 GB 2G iPod (which I've owned for more than two years and use constantly).
  1. The new battery is 2100 mAh, reportedly +70% capacity versus the original.
  2. Installation was very easy!
  3. Cost was $39.00.
  4. The old iPod now logs roughly 16 hours of play time, uninterrupted. This may improve a little after a few recharges.

Anyway, I can recommend these batteries to those whose elderly iPods need a little more juice. Other World Computing sell them here.

Sep 21, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks a lot for the link. Bookmarked and will probably be revisted in 3-4 months. I'm debating whether just getting it over with now or waiting the couple months.

PatM, would you mind elaborating on your installation comment? Is it just like how the link explains or more difficult? I'm somewhat confident that I can do it---doesn't look that daunting. You think I should work with my crappy playback time or replace as soon as possible? I'm working with a 3G bought in last October.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Mustang & MJG:

Please note that these batteries are for 1/2G iPods only. No go on 3G. I presume the heftier dimensions of the older units make it easier to pack in more battery power. (And may account for the price difference.)

And installation really was easy. Surprisingly so. I had to diddle around a little at the top left corner to start springing the clips but once started, easy as pie. Used the tool that they provided. No scratches. And it just snaps back together. My pod's innards were a little different than described in the instructions (no adhesive strips, a plastic framing bracket for the battery itself and some velcro-like straps that fold over the battery once plugged in), but it was all pretty intuitive.

I'd expect batteries like these to be released for the 3G and Mini in a little while. Keep in mind that it is the 1/2Gs that are really needing battery replacements right about now.

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 6
I can't believe PatM is the only Head-Fier who has posted about doing the the Newer Technology battery replacement. Has no one else done it?

After about two years of use, my G2's battery was down to a two-hour-and-forty-five-minute discharge, under ideal conditions. I put in an order for Newer Technology's 2100mAh battery earlier this week and it already looks like the best $40 I've spent in a long time. After using my iPod for about three and half hours, using the backlight and searching tracks, the battery meter still shows four of four ticks. I can definitely see the battery getting close to the twenty hours some people have reported. I'm kind of glad I decided to replace the battery instead of putting down the cash for a new G4 -- I'd much rather have this kind of battery life than a slightly smaller, slightly improved unit with only 12 hours of run time ... and have an extra $460 in the bank.

And, yes, the installation really was very easy, as PatM reported. If anyone with a dying G1/G2 is considering upgrading to a new unit, definitely think about the battery replacement instead. ...

kerely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back