$198 CAN for er6i, good deal, or am I being ripped off?
Jan 5, 2005 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dominator

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I'm getting my iPod soon, so I also want to get my headphones soon too. I settled on the er6i's because of their portability and high isolation, I hope I made the right choice....

Anyway, because I live in Canada, purchasing headphones is slightly harder than it is for you Americans.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

But, I found a place that will sells them, I phoned them up, and it's $198 Canadian for the phones. However, that includes everything. No extra tax or shipping on top, that's the final price.

So, is this a decent deal, or am I being ripped off here?

Thanks guys... I'm sure there's someone here from Canada that can answer my question.

Jan 5, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 17
about $30USD more than what i bought it for. i paid $124.99+shippging for mine. $198CAD is about $160USD.

if you have no other way to get it cheaper then its probably alright, the er6i are good phones. the er6 which i just heard, its a bit less comfortable, with very light bass, but has a lower bass extension and a cleaner overall sound than the er6i, best of all its not white. i'd say try those of you find it for a lot cheaper.

Jan 5, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 17
You might be able to do better buying from a US based store, but then you have the hassle of shipping, taxes, duties, etc. If you buy direct from Etymotic it'd cost you CA$182 not including shipping, so you're not doing too bad. It's a judgement call whether you want to maybe save $20-$30 and have a lot of hastle, or to get the locally with no hastle. I'd probably buy them locally, myself.

Jan 5, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
You might be able to do better buying from a US based store, but then you have the hassle of shipping, taxes, duties, etc. If you buy direct from Etymotic it'd cost you CA$182 not including shipping, so you're not doing too bad. It's a judgement call whether you want to maybe save $20-$30 and have a lot of hastle, or to get the locally with no hastle. I'd probably buy them locally, myself.

Well, actually, I'd rather buy it cheaper from somewhere in the US and live with the hassle, as long as I get them in the end. I am only a high school student that lucked out on a job after all... I'm not filthy rich or anything.
tongue.gif

Also, you're right about the etymotic store costing $182 CAN + shipping, but does their price include taxes? Also, that's a US store, so wouldn't I also have to pay duties and stuff on it?

I don't know really know that much about duties/customs though.... if I bought somewhere from the US, how much would I have to pay in customs/duties?

Jan 5, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Hopefully someone from Canada can help you out. I live in New Zealand.

I suggest using froogle.com to find the best price from a dealer you consider reliable (you can use resellerratings.com , or something like that), add on shipping, add on duties and tax, that's your price.

Oh, ok.

CALLING ALL CANADIANS!!!!!
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 17
hi, im from cad as well. AFAIK, when buying stuff outside canada, the custom could tax u anytime whenever they want. the tax would be the normal tax you would pay based on ur province. they could, howveer, choose not to tax u....its really up to them but legally u will be tax. however, if ur receiving a "GIFT" that is not more than CAD60, the taxes could be waived. so far, a couple of stuff that i bought from ebay thats originated in US werent taxed. but it wasnt some sort of big companies....only bought my hf570, ipod remote, character lcd and psone lcd from ebay....

when i mention earlier that the custom could chose to tax u or not, is depends on whether they wanna examine the item by hand or not....if they didnt tax u means it was just scanned and passed.. sometimes when they opened ur package...eventhough they dont tax u or the item was not dutiable...the item would be handed to the broker...and the broker would charge u for a small amount of fee to have the item delivered to you....although at the first place...it was already covered by the shipping cost....its kinda sucky...but thats the way things work...though i havent had any problems with buying stuff outside canada.....its better to be aware how things work.

Jan 5, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Perhaps look for the proper canadian customs site, or call them up and ask them about charges importing headphones.

I did go to the proper canadian website, but it was even more confusing.
confused.gif

Oh well, perhaps I'll just get it from this place I found. Now, back to the original topic, would I be correct in saying that the price I got isn't exactly the cheapest one out there, but it's a decent deal and I'm not getting ripped off?

Jan 5, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #12 of 17
if you get them mailed to you, make sure to use USPS --- UPS and possibly fedex charge HUGE brokerage charges on anything imported

if they are willing to ship to canada, they'll be filling out a customs/duty form declaring the value that you'll have to pay taxes on which is just GST + PST + 5 dollar brokerage/service charge

if you live near the border like me, some of the local mail box etc type stores will allow you to mail packages to them in exchange for a small fee (a few dollars) and then you can bring it across the border yoruself only paying duty (make sure to declare it, trust me!)

i brought my V6's in, had the receipt with me and the officer waved me through, didnt even have to pay gst/pst because of the paper work involved for 10 bucks of taxes isn't worth it!

Jan 5, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #13 of 17
As a rough guide, my ER-4P ($219 US) and P-->S conversion cable ($50 US) ordered from Headroom came to ~$400 CAN when all was said and done, shipping with USPS (which BTW, took a full 3 weeks).

Given Headroom's price ($130 US) for the ER-6i as a comparison point, I don't think you'd be doing yourself too big a disservice by ordering for $198 CAN like you were planning. I'd imagine it will show up a lot faster too.

Jan 5, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Layerfire
what is this p --- > s cable for the etys? what does it do

It's a magical device that converts the ER-4P into the ER-4S
smily_headphones1.gif
Hence one can own two earphone models and switch between them without even removing the drivers from your ears. Very cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back