1963 Amperex Holland 7308 Bugle Boy, First One Ever Spotted (Now For Sale)
Mar 16, 2015 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

NCSUZoSo

500+ Head-Fier
4/3/2015 Edit - AudioTubes.com verified it is the first one they have seen since starting the site.

I reached out to Brent from http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm (the site quoted/linked in the OP) as I wanted to find out if they would agree or disagree with my findings. This is what he has to say in regards to this tube.
In 20 years of tube collecting and tube selling, this is the FIRST real Bugle Boy 7308 I have ever seen! It appears your tube was originally imported into Canada, as it has HOLLAND etched into the glass at the top. This was standard for all Philips/Amperex tubes that were imported or sold in Canada. It is just possible that for some reason the Bugle Boy labels were only sold in Canada? The Holland name sandblasted into the glass is only seen on Dutch Philips or Amperex tubes coming out of Canada.

I think, due to the extreme rarity of a real Holland made and date coded 7308 Bugle boy, that 99% of those you actually encounter are fakes from Richardson Electronics. Your pictures do reinforce some facts that still tell the real thing from the fake: The fake 7308 or 6922 tubes NEVER have date codes or production codes on them. Yours does, so I will concede that you have one of the very few real Bugle Boy 7308 tubes in existence.

Thanks to Brent for letting me know more about the tube and reconfirming that this is a real 7308 Bugle Boy.

So according to http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm there is no such thing as a 7308 Bugle Boy.

#4. Again, there IS NO SUCH THING as a genuine NOS Amperex "Bugle Boy" 6922 or 7308 tube. This bears repeating

This tube has one of those Tektronix stickers on it that you can't pull off. However the logo is obvious from the start in this picture you can see the logo barely showing at the bottom of the Tektronix sticker and the 7308 sticker, but I have more.

Tube Specs:

**** This tester was prepared by Mr. Paul Hart of Falls Church , Virginia. *****
It's a Triplett 3444 / Westmore 501 that has been enhanced.

Industry Bogey transconductance = 12,500/12,500 µmhos &
Industry Bogey plate current = 15/15 mA
Results =
10,600/11,400 µmhos ~ 11.0/12.0 mA

Update: I tested this myself using a Superior Instruments Co. 82-A Rapid Tube Tester. I got a hold of one of these from a friend who found it at an estate sale. I can't say for sure it is calibrated, but the numbers of the tubes I have checked with known testing numbers followed the trends pretty closely, so I think it's pretty trustworthy. Where do you take equipment like this to get it calibrated? I don't want to send it off somewhere.

You can see the test results show it well in the "Good" range, about 77/100.

82A-Tube-Tester-Holland-7308-Amperex-Bugle-Boy-Tes.jpg

*Note: You really need to look at the pictures after this first one in full size to see the logos, funny enough the erased batch code is obvious even when zoomed out.

Here are two pictures I took trying to show how you can see Amperex across the back of the sticker and a full Bugle Boy logo showing. You can also see the (delta)3K4 code there for manufacturer and date (Holland. 1963).

Now here you can see the VR batch code proving it is a 7308 tube indeed.

The main reason I am selling it is because I am going back to college to finish my last two years in Electrical Engineering, so I need all the spare cash I can get. Having multiple super high end tubes is definitely not a necessity, haha. This is by far the best tube I have, clearly beating out a 1968 Siemens CCa and a Valvo for the prize. I actually feel bad having a tube like this in an Aune T1, haha. If you'd like my impressions on the tube please PM me and I'll get back to you.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 20
I wasn't sure where to post this thread at because there is no sub-forum directed at tubes and I figured this section might be the best due to the use of tubes in full size amps.

I'm actually surprised that Head-Fi doesn't have a section aimed at tube talk, at least not one that I have seen.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 20
I reached out to Brent from http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm (the site quoted/linked in the OP) as I wanted to find out if they would agree or disagree with my findings.  This is what he has to say in regards to this tube. 

In 20 years of tube collecting and tube selling, this is the FIRST real Bugle Boy 7308 I have ever seen!  It appears your tube was originally imported into Canada, as it has HOLLAND etched into the glass at the top.  This was standard for all Philips/Amperex tubes that were imported or sold in Canada.  It is just possible that for some reason the Bugle Boy labels were only sold in Canada?  The Holland name sandblasted into the glass is only seen on Dutch Philips or Amperex tubes coming out of Canada.

I think, due to the extreme rarity of a real Holland made and date coded 7308 Bugle boy, that 99% of those you actually encounter are fakes from Richardson Electronics.  Your pictures do reinforce some facts that still tell the real thing from the fake:  The fake 7308 or 6922 tubes NEVER have date codes or production codes on them.  Yours does, so I will concede that you have one of the very few real Bugle Boy 7308 tubes in existence.

Thanks to Brent for letting me know more about the tube and reconfirming that this is a real 7308 Bugle Boy. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 20
Yea that is something I am definitely considering, although I'm not really sure how to reach that crowd.

May 29, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 20
Is anyone interested in this tube before it goes on Ebay?  Although I am interested to see how high it gets in a public auction.

May 30, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 20
I would post this on the Lyr2 Tube Rollers Thread
A lot of knowledge about this topic, IE Amperex 7308, 6992 , etc.

May 30, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 20
Well it has already been proven that it is an Amperex Holland 7308 Bugle Boy.  I was just curious if anyone on here wanted to make an offer before I throw it on Ebay.

May 30, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 20
And that's why I suggested posting there. Lots of Amperex 7308 fans. I've some early 60's 7308's myself. You are likely to find a buyer there

May 30, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 20
Gotcha, thanks for the suggestion.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 20
If you end up listing it on ebay, can you let us know so we can watch it?  Too expensive for me, but I'm still curious.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 20
Definitely! I am waiting to see if I get any offers that interest me on here before I do.  I will entertain all offers, don't be shy!

Also I will consider trades.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #13 of 20
Can I ask where you pulled this from? I recently acquired a Tektronix Type W Plug In Unit with a 6DJ8 tube with a tektronix sticker on it, but no etchings. I don't have any use for the unit, I just like the looks! Interested in this tube though.

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 20
I actually purchased it from someone who had no idea what it was.  I knew it was an Amperex because I could see the logo barely sticking out the bottom of the Tektronix sticker. 

All they knew was it is a Holland 7308 tube and basically I kept looking until I could figure out what it is.  The hard part was capturing the proof in pictures after I discovered what I had.  As Brent from audiotubes.com mentions above, this could be an import from Canada, but outside of that we have no other hard data on the origin of the tube.

Thanks for looking!

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #15 of 20
Alright, she is going on Ebay tonight/tomorrow.  Last chances for any more offers/trades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back